1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIDI sole repair

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, Jul 23, 2019.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Couple of threads out there but really nothing much for soles that have come loose. I’ve got a pair that one sole came off last weekend. I’m guessing with as hot as it was and the back of the boot pretty much resting on the mid pipes, it created enough heat that the glue began to break down. There was someone that did a emergency repair overnight but it was nothing special. Wondering what others have used to reattach. Also not sure if I will need to somehow remove the old adhesive stuck to both the boot and sole before using a new adhesive. This seems like something that @ChemGuy would be knowledgeable about. Thanks for any help.

2. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I took my Sidis to a mom n pop shoe store and they reglued the sole. Has held on great and they charged me $10.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

shoe goo is great stuff. red tube, sold at walmart for $5, i buy 2 tubes at a time on Ebay to keep dirt bike soles on and fill small holes that the pegs make over time, and have done minor repairs on my sidi roadrace boots to reattach the heel or front.
    to replace entire sole (couldn't get the old soles off all way) like shocker, took to mom and pop shop locally. Most around here are Asian or Korean, and do great work. Was $50 to pull old sole off and redo new soles for 1 pair. prices may vary, i'm in Tampa and it's not what they do every day.

4. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

I've used shoe goo to reattach Sidi soles that detached at the heel with good success as well. The old adhesive peeled off with little effort and I put a thin layer on both the boot and the sole when reattaching.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I agree. Sticking the rubber used can be a pain and is usually best done with solvent based glues.
    Try shop too or similar. Make sure to clean off as much of the old adhesive and scuff/clean the surfaces.

Or take to local shoe repair place. They can grind off old soles and glue on nee ones. Used to have my army issue boots resolved with vibram soles back in the day. Much more comfortable.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

send it here if you want. http://www.factoryresole.com. I had some Vertigo Corsa's resoled there. He used a Sidi MX sole and shaped it to be less aggressive. It was a lot more durable than the original sole and outlasted the boot.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

8. yokohama1

Thanks everybody. I'm going to try someplace local.

9. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I bought the replacement Sidi soles and had a leather shop glue them on.

Then immediately after, the toe sliders and buckles broke.

10. MELK-MAN

you can buy replacement SIDI roadrace boot soles on www.motonation.com .. mx soles will as you found, be way thicker

11. yokohama1

Looking around on the web it looks like Sidi only sells one type of replacement sole for their road racing boots. Not sure I want to go with a MX sole for feel on the pegs. Maybe overthinking that.
    One thing I did not mention, the original soles have a few cracks on the inner layer of the sole. Outside is fine. Was thinking I would still try to reattach the original soles as they are in good shape otherwise.

12. MELK-MAN

these are NOT mx soles.. trust me. i have used em recently on my mag1's. Way thinner than mx soles.
    https://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=858&idcategory=28
    they have mx soles too, but these ain't them.

13. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

I got a set of soles from Motonation, they were identical to the ones ripped off the boot

Sent mine to Anthony’s leatherworks
    http://mxbootrepair.com/

They put on soles, replaced the zipper and some other stuff, think it was $150 with the AMA discount but my boots are as good as new now

14. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the mom and pop store. My sidi sole was worn at the peg. They replaced them with soles that have held up better than OEM for $40 bucks

15. yokohama1

Gotcha. I saw those but did not realize they were a little heavier than what comes on the boots. This is a pair of Mag 1’s as well. Might as well get those and start fresh.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. yokohama1

C
    Curious as what kind of sole they had/recommended for a replacement.

17. MELK-MAN

i guess i didn't explain this well enough before. those soles ARE the same soles that sidi uses on the sidi road race boots. Not "a little heavier" , they are the same.Yes, they will serve ya well, just ensure you order the same size sole as your boot size (obviously)
    :)

18. yokohama1

Ok, one last question. The sizing thing for the replacements is kinda strange. The boots are 45’s but the site lists 44 mega 45 or 45 mega 46. Can you give me insight on which one I need?

19. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

20. yokohama1

Greg seems to more than happy to help as he has done this before and Moto Nation is great in my book as I’ve bought from them in the past.
    The beeb is great for fucking off as well as getting things accomplished quickly and MM is helping me get this done efficiently.