1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finishing Shop Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by xTomKx, May 23, 2019.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Looks good Smil ..

We need one solid thread for all garage/workshop photos. Can never get enough of them.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s tough, because any wood that touches concrete or block will absorb moisture through it. Metal will start corroding. The tapcons used to fasten to the block eventually rust away. The exterior will need a high quality coating applied to it to start the moisture barrier process. On the inside, UGL Drylok would be a good place to start. EPD strips cut glued to the mounting face of every stud touching concrete will provide another barrier. Closed-cell spray foam would be the final barrier. Lastly, preventing temperature swings that cause condensation is imperative.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Almost done with my. One more color coat of stucco and garage doors coming this week.
    Will sheetrock and paint walls. Ceiling will stay open.
    22 LED lights (even with trusses) lights it up pretty good. Probably add more if needed.

IMG_3210.jpeg IMG_3209.jpeg

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Insulating the outside would be better, stop the weather before it hits the masonry. Masonry will transfer cold or heat. One inch thick styrofoam then siding. Stone veneer would look great but more money.

5. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

I did the same thing and yes it was a lot of work but well worth it. Had a buddy of mine help me prep the floor and put down the epoxy. Did it 2 weeks before I moved in and put anything on the floor. That's the key, especially if you'll be parking a vehicle in the garage. After living there for 12 years the floor was still in perfect shape.

The best part was being able to hose down the floor and leaf blow it dry and it looked good as new. I actually did a demo with some friends and showed them how I could pour some oil on the floor, wipe it up with a shop rag and there was no stain or residue. :D

xTomKx likes this.
  6. 1bronco

1bronco Well-Known Member

How well does that portable AC unit work for the space? I'm looking into similar solutions for my two car.

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Recently bought a GE 14k BTU 115v window unit for my 2 car garage, roughly 525 sq feet (average 2 car garage size). Works absolutely amazing, despite the garage being uninsulated (attached to the house, but nothing behind the drywall on the other sides). Has Wi-Fi so I can turn it on from my phone when I leave work, and come home to the garage already chilling. :D

ducnut likes this.
  8. 1bronco

Nice, the wifi part sounds pretty convenient. My garage is attached and insulated but usually stays around 80 throughout the summer on most days. I don't need it cool all the time, only when I'm out there for extended periods working on something. How long does it usually take for it to cool down?

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Mine is pretty well-insulated that during these past couple hot weeks, it'll be 79-80 on with the garage doors closed. If I open the door to the house and prop a fan facing into the garage, it'll knock down to 75-76 which has been plenty comfortable.

Running AC though, still has crossed my mind. Even just a couple vents seems reasonable enough.

10. Wheel Bearing

It knocks it down 5-8 degrees within the first 10 minutes. To get it cooled down to 72 takes about 30-40 minutes (garage temp being 90-ish degrees). Mind you, my garage fucking bakes in this heat. Like if it's 85 degrees out and 80% humidity outside, it's even hotter inside the garage. It's a fucking sauna in there. Also keep in mind that the wifi will only function as well as your wifi network. People are idiots, when I was reading reviews about it, they were complaining about the wifi function not working well or at all, but then turn around and say their own wifi network didn't reach out to the garage? OK, ya fucking tool bag, you can't ding a product for its lack of WiFi capability if your shitty home network doesn't have signal where it's placed...anyways.

Had it a few weeks, 5/5 stars without a doubt.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-700-sq-...ner-115-Volt-14000-BTU-ENERGY-STAR/1000731554

ducnut likes this.
  11. 1bronco

Doesn't break the bank and seems to get the job done. I'm going to look into this, thanks!

12. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

The garage is well insulated. I had 6" insulation installed and spray foamed behind outlets. Portable AC works fine but I have to run it for considerable amount of time to get the humidity out. It is a cheap no name unit that somebody gave to me few years back. I am going to pick up a better unit over the winter. Also going to install the hose through the wall to improve efficiency.

13. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I like the wifi idea. Going to see what's on sale in the fall. So far the cheapo AC will get me thorugh the summer. Most importantly it takes the humidity out. We had 100 degree weather last weekend and it was low 80's in my garage with low humidity. I was comfortable.

14. Wheel Bearing

I didn't think I'd use the wifi/remote turn on-off feature on my phone as much as I have...but damn is it nice. One of those things that you tell yourself you don't really need (in actuality, you don't), but once you have it, you wondered how you lived without it. Tells you how much juice the unit is drawing, current temp, set temp, etc. Pretty slick.

15. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Nice that it shows the current temp. From that you can make a decision if to run it or not while on the way to garage.

Do you remove the unit out of the window in the winter?

16. Wheel Bearing

I plan to. It's heavy, and I would definitely recommend a second person to stand outside the window as a backup, to catch it if it would slip out of your hands, but really it only takes a few minutes to drop inside the window frame. No reason to leave it outside exposed to the winter elements.

17. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Looks sweet Z :beer: