1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling unwanted gift cards?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jul 19, 2019.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Hey all-

I have a few gift cards that I'll most likely never use. Have any of you ever sold them online? I'd like to sell them and have the funds dumped into my PayPal account. If you've sold them, how much of a beating did you take? I guess almost anything is better than them sitting around unused, right?

Thanks in advance.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Why can’t you just use them instead of taking the beating?

dtalbott likes this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

One of them is for PacSun. I haven’t seen anything there I want. Maybe I can get some shades?

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

try something like https://www.cardcash.com/sell-gift-cards/?amazon-promotion=true
    and I think if you trade it for another one, you get a bonus.

a $50 PacSun card had a $30 offer, so not sure if it's worth it to you

raise.com is another site. They seem to take 15% of the selling price. But someone has to buy it first.

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Guy I know built a lot of his house through purchasing Home Depot gift cards online. If I remember right he would get them anywhere between 60-80 percent of face value.

Of course I'd just hold on to it, I'm sure someone will have a birthday or need a Christmas gift.

speedluvn and sharkattack like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

yeah it's a good deal when you can find the right one. Also, you have to use them ASAP.

There have been incidents where the gift cards were bought with stolen credit cards and then resold, and then the issuer cancelled the gift card.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Somebody hacked one of my credit cards a few months ago and the main thing they bought was gift cards. They made four or five stops at convenience stations, filled up their car, bought a half dozen cartons of cigarettes, and bought a couple hundred dollars in gift cards at each.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My wife deals in gift cards so she knows her shit. She said to use cardpool.com or see if your grocery store has a kiosk for redemption.

sharkattack likes this.
  9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Where did he purchase them?

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

put an ad up here. i'd be interested in the pacsun for $35

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I do you prove the card's value isn't dropped at zero?...

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

same here, and at the gas stations. they hit a few of my Chase cards, and they were able to charge a card that was never even activated.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They got one of mine I hadn’t used in about a year. Zero balance and safely tucked away in my desk drawer.

14. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Ebay. But this was years ago before internet scammers went full Nigerian Prince amd before huge Ebay fees.

They are still all over ebay so if someone has good feedback I'd be ok with it.

speedluvn likes this.
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There's just too damn much potential for skeevy on both sides of the transaction for me to ever want to dabble in secondhand gift cards. My favorite strategy is to buy, frinstance, a couple-few packages of AA batteries from retailers I have a GC for, and return them for store credit at wally world or Lowes.

With a Pacsun GC, yeah, you're pretty much hosed unless you want to buy 'toe a secret Santa gift: https://www.pacsun.com/pacsun/x-pla....html?dwvar_0644489900006_color=066&cgid=mens

[​IMG]

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Unless it's named to you, why not re-gift?

sharkattack and Phl218 like this.
  17. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

A lot of gift cards can be loaded into your Amazon account and used as a credit.
    It doesn't work with all of them but it is worth looking into. I'll do this with the smaller left over amounts from Visa, Best Buy and Starbucks cards etc etc.

BigBird likes this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

When I have a GC that's only going to have a buck or so left on it after my purchase, I usually just have the cashier run it on the tab of the person behind me.

BigBird likes this.