1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MN deer hunters: question about shotgun zones

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Jul 21, 2019.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I know there are some MN people here. I hunted deer for years at a friend's land in zone 213, shotgun or handgun only. I'm returning this year, and can't seem to figure out if my Ruger .44 carbine (rifle chambered in .44) is legal to use.

Anybody?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

@CB186 to the great white north courtesy phone

3. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Are you asking if it's legal to use a rifle to hunt in a hunting area designated for shotguns and handguns only? Seems obvious to me.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or he's only used those weapons in the past.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

By choice or mandate?

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

No, Minnesota as of now is not allowing the "straight case" rifles in shotgun zones. I actually emailed the DNR this winter about if its been looked at, and their response was they were looking at numerous possible changes, and this was on their radar. The new regulations will be out soon, so it is possible they might catch up to lower Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, etc.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You need the wording of the law. They are obviously limiting bullet travel by excluding rifles or, more correctly, high-calibers.
    If it's written as handgun, it's a bullshit law. Thompson Contender, a pistol, is predominately high-caliber.
    If it's written as pistol caliber, there may be a barrel length restriction taking pistol caliber carbines out the equation.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Centerfire caliber handguns(basically singleshots, or an AR pistol) are legal under the handgun regulations. I'm hoping they change it to the straight case type regulations, because I'll build a 45 Raptor bolt gun, even though I haven't hunted the shotgun season in a decade.
    BTW, muzzle loaders are legal in the shotgun zone.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sweet. Ill be right over....

[​IMG]

Phl218 and Sabre699 like this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

There is a minimum caliber, but I don't think there is a maximum. Might have to shoulder fire it though.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Instant jerky...

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think that would be hamburger.

13. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I don't know if a straight case regulation would be the best way to go unless they're OK with 45/70, 500/600/700 Nitro Express, etc for whitetail. Restricting to specific calibers might be a better idea.

ChemGuy likes this.
  14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

They typically include a case(not loaded cartridge) minimum and maximum length also.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I like your style...nothing like a NE 500 or 700 to kill those vicious bambi's

Slider82 likes this.