1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IOM TT planning

Discussion in 'General' started by noeyes, Jul 18, 2019.

1. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Who has been and where/how do you start planning a trip for it?

Thanks for any info.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

There are a number of threads on here talking about taking that trip, but in brief...
    • Decide if you are going to be on a bike for the trip. That impacts everything else. Do have a bike if you can.
    • Get ferry tickets (if you have a vehicle) early and first. Now would be a good time to get a ferry ticket. They determine when you will be there. You may have to cross at 2 in the morning, be prepared. I believe it is in January that you have to pay full price for a ticket you have a deposit on. Many don't, and a better crossing might be available then.
    • Decide how you are going to sleep. Hotel, camping, "glamping", or a home stay. There is a government run homestay program and it is great. I was hesitant and only did this the last year I went, but lots of amazing folks over there, and you may make a friend for life (or at least have someplace to stay the next time you go over).
    • If you want to take a bike, most of the bike hire places are in London. Also, most of the flights go in there too, so that one way to go on a bike.
    • If you do have a vehicle, particularly a bike, plan to tour a bit in the UK either before or after. There is a ton of great riding and places to see/visit.
    • Expect to be going again. Expect to be looking at real estate postings while you are on the island
    It has been a while (too long) since I've gone, and things have changed a bit I'm sure. I know there are more "package deal trips", "reserved viewing spots" and things like airbnb that weren't a thing last time I went, but that's the basics.

Nice avatar by the way!:)

tophyr likes this.
  3. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

What Smiladon said. I will add that we went during practice week and throughly enjoyed it. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Ramsey. So we were away from all the madness. We stayed at the Heathers. They were great, the couple even slept on the couch so that we could stay an extra day and watch one race. The whole island is full of the nicest people on earth. Thus why you will want to go back and why you too will look at the real estate listings. My wife saw the poster last night and mentioned that we need to go back

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

As far as places to stay, the "feel" can vary tremendously, so it's all down to dialing in whatever experience you prefer. The first year we went, we went with a lightweight "tour" to learn the ropes. The tour operator put everybody right on the promenade along the water in Douglas. Where all the "action" was. Yes, the Bushy's tent was there, and lots of bikes and drunks and burnouts, but I've been going to Daytona bike week since I was a little kid, and have seen enough drunk guys with viking style helmets to last a lifetime.

In subsequent years we were lucky enough to stay at the Sulby Glen hotel on Sulby straight, and it was much more to our taste. Sleep over a pub with good food and drink, the owner's son was in the race (and dropped by to hang a winner's wreath in the pub), the taps on the bar were made from an old Honda SOHC engine. Got woke up in the morning by bikes going 190 just outside my window, what more could you want?

The last year, we stayed with a group of friends (who we'd met at previous TTs) in a homestay. It wasn't on the track, but it was just a few hundred yards from the Crosby pub, which was. The downside was we were "trapped in" when the roads were closed, but not a big issue. It was more relaxed than Sulby Glen, but worked just as well.

6. grasshopper

Small circle to the left is the Hotel / Bar / Restaurant. Big circle in the middle is the camp ground you can camp for free. Little circle on the right is another bar I forgot the name of but we hung there quite a bit. It's a bout 20 min ride to the east down to the Ramsey hair pin

upload_2019-7-19_10-28-48.png

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I strongly recommend homestay. It rains a lot and campgrounds can be a bit swampy, plus the local knowledge that your host will provide is invaluable.

Also look at travel through Ireland. There are ferries out of Belfast and Dublin which don't book as fast as the mainland UK, and airfare is cheaper in my experience.

I've rented bikes from Celtic Rider in Dublin twice. Honestly not the best experience but I'd give them another chance since there aren't many options.

Yzasserina likes this.
  8. grasshopper

What was the cost to rent a bike and get it over on the Ferry?

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

There used to be a little cafe at that campground, is it still there?

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I flew in from Dublin in 2010 (someone brought a bike over for me in a container), and that allowed a little visit to Dublin, which was nice. Prior to that, I could not rent a bike in Ireland. I was told it was illegal, but not sure of the specifics. There were just no rental agencies. As you say, there aren't many now.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I'm not going to even try to pretend it is a cheap option. My numbers are old, but roughly you could figure $75-$100 a day for the bike, depending on how long you rent it and what type. Really expensive gas, a damage deposit on the bike (maybe $800-1200) and the ferry is a lot during TT too. The price is really variable, but expect a couple of hundred at least.

One year I had somebody loan me a bike. One year a bunch of bikes were shipped over in a container (the person who did that got into a bit of trouble with the IOM government). So, I've tried ways to get around the cost, but even the years I rented in London and toured Wales or Scotland before/after the TT, I felt it was money well spent.

If you have contacts over there, you can buy a cheap bike and have a buyer for it already lined up before you leave. I was looking into that, but I'm horrible at that kind of stuff.

12. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

I think it can be really miserable there with poor accommodations. Put your biggest budget to housing.

EDIT: I have only been twice, some of the other people here have been there more

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  13. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses and info guys. Looks like I have some homework to do soon.

14. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

I am renting a KTM 790 from Phillip Mcallen motorcycles in Belfast for the Ulster GP in 2 weeks. Its 125 pounds the first 3 days then 85 pounds every day after. I am using it at the GP then going up the coast road to Port Stewart then to Ballymony(Dunlops bar), 10 days total. Insurance included, British Pound is cheap now about $1.25 .

wera313 likes this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So if I did the math right you'll be paying about 1200 US for 10 days ?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For 1200 you can buy a beater used car :D

17. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

The rental shop has been very helpful with the trip, no charge picking me up at hotel on Monday Aug 5 and I will drop off late Tuesday August 13 so 8 days or at todays exchange right at $1,000. They have 4 levels of bike prices and the KTM was next highest but I thought an R3 Yamaha would get old being cramped and slow, but much cheaper.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Sounds like fun! We were looking at doing something similar for the NW200 a few years ago. Life intervened that year (job loss), but would still like to do that trip.

Don't forget the giant's causeway!

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

When are you looking at going?