1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bell Race Star - wind drying out contacts

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Senna, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I have a Bell Race Star that I purchased in 2016. I've been very happy with this helmet, but I'm finding more and more that I'm getting a LOT of unwanted air flow in the helmet and it's drying out my contacts and blurring my vision.

I have the vents all closed, and I recently replaced the padding for an even tighter fit. The helmet is pretty tight to get on and I tried both the size smaller and larger when I bought it and settled on the Medium size as it fit tightly without pressure points.

Does anyone else have this issue? It's starting to impact my track time consistently now.

Thanks in advance.

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Yes, same helmet. Started using allergy eye drops in the AM and at lunch.

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Have you had the issue with other helmets? Debating getting another lid.

4. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Does it have a removable chin curtain? I've had luck cutting down on the airflow when I put that in.

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

It does and it’s installed.

I’m thinking maybe the cheek pads “settle” a bit during the day and cause the helmet to sit differently, which causes the issue. Ordered a couple cheek pads to try from STG as it’s a cheaper fix than a new lid.

6. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

this the old style with the side lock vent shield?
    the new helmet has less eye air for sure

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

As a fellow contact wearer no matter what helmet I’ve had now the older I get the more my contacts dry out riding. Like others have said spend 5 bucks and get yourself a GOOD contact rewetting drops solution and put them in a few times a day at the track. At least that method works for me until I luster up the balls and get lasik

walladm likes this.
  8. mram0256

mram0256 Member

I had a contact pop out during a race, that sucked lol. A lack of depth perception at speed is sketchy to say the least. I shit you not, I make a conscious effort to blink more. Easy to just zone out and stare. I’ll try some drops too, sounds like a good idea lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senna and walladm like this.
  9. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

I've struggled with the same issue, and have had contacts pop out while racing before too. I did the contact re-wetting drops for years putting drops in right before every on track session, and this definitely helped. I started using the Scorpion EXO-R2000 helmet a couple years ago and I no longer need to use the drops as it manages the airflow across my face better. This helmet may not fit/interest you, but it works better than the Shoeis / HJCs/ etc. that I've tried in this regard.

10. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I have a race star and I have the same issue. I also had PRK done so now the issue is my eyes are blood red by the end of 2 days of riding. I do eye drops all day and it still doesn't help. Is there a really good type of eye drop that anyone recommends? To be fair, I had the same issue with my Arai corsair x

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

As a contact (and Bell Race Star) user, I also battle this issue.

Good rewetting drops between sessions have proved very reliable. I use the "Refresh" brand, and it is readily available at major drug and grocery stores.

Senna likes this.
  12. walladm

walladm #147

One thing I learned endurance racing was that I wouldn't blink enough during sprint races. I always struggle with eye irritation/dryness after a day on the track. I had to make it a point to fully blink during sprints, usually on the straights when I'm tucked in and checking engine temps. It's more second nature now, after making it a habit.

I wear RGP lenses but have recently switched to soft lenses just for riding. It's much more comfortable.

As others have said, I use eye drops before each track session. I use a Bell Race Star.

mram0256 likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The breath deflector on one of my helmets directs air right into my face and eyes. Take it out and no more dry eye.

Senna likes this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input, guys! Going to try the drops as well as removing the breath deflector.