1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putnam Park track times

Discussion in 'General' started by Brunswick, Jul 3, 2000.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Cherry picker!

ekraft84 likes this.
  2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

How did I know this discussion of Putnam Park would degenerate into making snide remarks about "lesser" sanctioning bodies, and those scum the "trackday riders"!

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I thought what's his name was the "track day winner"...

:D

mastermind and ekraft84 like this.
  4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

As someone in that second 20 group with most of my friends in that same group, many keep waiting at TDs to hit some magical "I deserve to race" moment. My entire intention in getting a road bike 6 years ago was to get on race tracks. I had no idea what the scene looked like and TD were both better advertised and more accessible. First day of my second season I went to an STT racing school in early May at Grattan but ended up crashing on a cold as hell rainy day as the track dried and got mixed. That caused me to sit back in TDs and try to learn and improve more, believing my crash meant I shouldn't race yet. A couple of my friends hitting that magical moment (and now win some races with CCS) were BY FAR the best thing to get the rest of us to get our licenses and grid up.

For us, having a race org info canopy at a trackday would have gone a long way to giving the nudge to racing. All of us sat around knowing who the racers were and could ask anything, but we also just assumed until we could hope to stay within a few seconds of these guys we should keep hitting trackdays.

Murcielago311 and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Because we will never agree and I get it, I'm just a guest on your own forum.

And honestly I dont get the disrespect for another organization that's been running races for as long as WERA. Skill wise, our guys have done quite well in your org. Must be those inaccurate Westhold transponders.

As for Putnam, you got kicked out so lets tell it like it is. Anyone with 1/2 a brain knows T10 @ Putnam is no more dangerous than many of the turns at the tracks you run and the rest of the track is super motorcycle friendly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Suhweet! :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Would love to do that but too busy most weekends :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who has been running races as long as WERA? MCRA? Not so much in lenght of time and not remotely close to the number of events - even when they were a WERA affiliate. Skills of individuals have nothing to do with anything.

I designed the new T10 on a napkin. We don't run anywhere with a turn that bad.

Kicked out? Not so much. The thread is still here, feel free to check it out some time. Keep in mind too that I still have the faxes Chris sent me. I refused to play games with Dick and still won't, without major contract and track changes WERA was never going back there.

9. Ricardo

Ricardo Member

I was looking for lap record at Putnam park, jake Lewis In 2011 did a 1.10 flat.... I did 1.099 chasing Lewis.
    Both on Yamaha r6.

ekraft84 likes this.
  10. TwiztedRabbit

TwiztedRabbit Well-Known Member

that was an awesome day watching you 2

11. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

The new pavement this year is excellent. If there was a high level event, I’m sure the current records would fall.

12. Maximumjeff

Maximumjeff Well-Known Member

I thought Junge had the record at a 1:08.9.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was bummed as well... However he did win the AMA Horizon award that weekend... cast on and all.. there is a video of that race from Chimi’s Bike if I am not mistaken... unreal...

14. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Went to Putnam this past weekend, first time back on the track in 15 years. After reading this thread don't feel to bad about the 18's I was doing with a couple 17's in the mix. Started out Sat very, very slow on my friends R1, got a little better in the afternoon, but I don't really care for the R1, raced mostly 600's with a few 750's over the years, couldn't keep the front tire on the ground and was spinning up everywhere. Switched to his gsxr 750 on Sun and felt much more comfortable and like I was actually riding instead of just hanging on. Stayed in the intermediate group both days since I'm not sure I was fast enough to be in advanced. It was fun for sure and I forgot how much fun it was, glad to have a friend nice enough to let me ride his bikes. BTW if you go I would suggest not running pirelli tires, the new pavement was eating them up, by the the 4th session on sat I had to get a new rear and as I said I wasn't going that fast. By the end of the day pretty much everyone there running pirelli had switched to Michelin since that was the only vendor there. The Michelin's held up find for the 1.5 days we ran them on the 1000 and the 750. I agree turn 10 sucks, and I wouldn't want to be railing through that turn, makes it even worse since it is probably the most important turn on the track since it leads onto the front straight. One thing I don't like about track days, or at least STT track days is they throw red flags for any/everything. Wish I could afford to buy a bike again to do even track days, or race, not in the budget at this time though so any riding for me will be going to IN to ride my friends bike, I can do that until I run out of airline miles. :) He wants me to go to Road America with him, not sure I'm ready for that though.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just a FYI the Red Flag deal there is a Putnam thing NOT STT.. I can’t stand it as well... has to do with the car day formats there from what I was told...

16. Ganja Dude

Good to know, thanks!

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Where you been, Pothead? Following Dead and Company? :D

18. Ganja Dude

Kids, life, and to much FB. :crackup:How ya been, glad to see I've been gone but not forgotten.

19. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

First of all, Ganja Dude is back! :clap: :D

Second of all, you were riding it like a 600 & that's why you had the issues. I raced 600's mostly too and the few times I was on a 1000 I had the same issues. Had a friend at a track day ask me to take his 1000 out and give him feedback on the suspension and handling. I had the same issues and the same complaint. "The front felt like it was pushing and wouldn't finish the corner" and once I got feedback from another friend watching in the corner he said "Dumbass! The front end wasn't even on the pavement!" :crackup:

Also had another friend whose 1000 I rode asked me what gear I was using in a certain turn and I said 3rd and he said the same thing "Dumbass! You need to be in 4th for that turn."

The 1000's have a lot more torque and you need to be in a higher gear than a 600 through some turns. It's hard to change your riding style when switching to a different bike when you're been so used to the same riding style for many years. That's why I have much respect for the truly fast guys who can jump from one bike to another and still go super fast no matter what they are riding. :cool:

20. Ganja Dude

Thanks for the nice welcome back. It'll be at least a year before I do it again (not come here, do a track day), out of vaca time for the year. Already told the wife though that next year there may be some leave Fri come back Sun night trips to IN for me. I forgot how addicting going fast can be.

Yeah I had a few people tell me that I need to use a more point and shoot approach. I had the wheelie control on 1 and power mode on A to start. When I switched it to power mode B and wheelie control to 3 it got better for sure. Still couldn't keep the front end down on the straight or the rear from sliding, again new tires really helped with the rear slide You are right about respect, not sure how anyone goes fast on those things it gives you a whole new outlook on even motoamerica superbike and especially motogp on how in the hell do they ride those things. Told my friend he needs to buy a 600 or some more 750's.