1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home a/c issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Coopster, May 15, 2018.

1. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Hello Tradespeoples and others in the know.
    This one is a little different.
    The A/c works fine - it just doesn't want to shut off once it cools.
    Unit is the good ol Honeywell Round, non programmable, orig from '81.
    Additionally, it takes a big difference in temps to allow it to reach a level, and turn off.

Hold on - just looked at unit w/ cover off.
    It appears that it needs to be leveled, or centered, whatever it's called.
    Thinking the g/f, who is an ex defense player with the Lady Thrashers and often times does not know her own strength, has tweaked the thing one night last week, going on year 7 of post menopausal hot flashes...

I really do need some help here...

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

If it has the liquid Mercury in it just toss it and get a new one. Non programaable ones are cheap

3. Coopster

Right, but I would still need to mount it, correctly, which I feel is the problem, having looked over the operation.
    I hate to replace something that is not bupsted.

4. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

a thermostat from '81?

yeah, get a new one.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

You need a younger girlfriend bro.

AC is probably fine

Joe Lopez likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Contactor is likely stuck

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Get an Emerson Sensei thermostat, I have started using them on most of my installs instead of Honeywells.

BigBird likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

At least you have someone to open pickle jars for you.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Anyone near NoVa that wants to do an install? Mine puked its guts out.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Dude it's 3 wires

11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Could be up to 8 depending on the system. I agree it's easy... But I do it for extra spending cash and I've seen lots of weird shit

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a programmable one in one zone that won't turn the AC off when it gets to the proper temp but will turn off the heat. Haven't cared enough to fix or replace it yet - trying to justify a Nest setup or something similar :D

13. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

Newer/nicer t-stats also look at humidity, and will run AC extra, to lower humidity.
    I have the Ecobee, both up stairs and down stairs, I love them. They have All kinds of settings and parameters.

14. Honeywell WiFi ones in my house and work good enough for the money. Nice when you travel like you do to turn the ac down a couple hours befor you arrive home via your phone. Think they were maybe $40 for downstairs one and $60for upstairs but the cheaper one does everything the more expensive one does.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm torn on which one - have some automated switches and such so thinking about going through that setup, but Nest ties in to the security system and it's dashboard which makes it much much easier for the boss. Too cheap to buy one right now anyway so I'll keep researching.

16. Coopster

I think I now have a contactor issue.
    The outside unit was buzzing very loudly this morning, fan was not turning.
    I switched the T stat to "Off", went outside, pulled the outside service disconnect, pulled access cover, capacitor is NOT pooched (it is only a few months old), then pulled the top screws to allow removal of top with fan, turned upside down and placed on top of condenser housing - fan spins freely.
    Looked at contactor, pulled it out with insulated needle nose and let snap back a few times.
    Went back inside and set t stat to cool, and lowered temp on dial to make it come on when I went back outside and plugged in the service disconnect.
    Upon arrival outside there is a hum from the contactor, which I suspect is the signal from the T stat to turn on, which it did when I plugged in the service disconnect.
    Fan spun, errthang sounded/looked good.
    Is there some lubing of the contactor that needs to be done, or just replace with new $15 POS Chinese one that will fail in the next few years, wha?
    We have Ana's aged Mum this weekend for Elder Care, so I need the whole house cool enough for life support!
    TIA as always, gents.
    Coop

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You killed it.

18. Coopster

That was very helpful, rackree!

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I do my best.:D

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

A non-programmable t'stat is about $30 at Home Despot. Even an idiot like me can hook one up. Give it a try.