1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK-MotoAmerica | Laguna Seca | July 12-14 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Jul 11, 2019.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yes, the 0516 front and whatever the new rear was also. We had a pressure issue for sure, too low when it came in. Either had a small leak or just started too low with the new tire.... Either way we didn’t see the pressure gain we did earlier with it and lacked grip.

2. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking.. The pirelli on track should have given the MA guys extra grip.. :Poke:

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, if it's knowledge, isn't it true? It's beliefs you have to worry about. :D

pscook likes this.
  4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

In my twenty years with Pirelli I assisted in race and street tire development and design. When working in the paddock with tire and compound engineers, or at the factory with the R&D engineers, or even with the conceptual tire design engineers the subject of tire buildup/marbles affecting race track performance never came up.

Why, not sure but if you look at the variables of racing with different bike set up, riding style, suspension setting, track temp, track surface conditions, weather temps & conditions, they all influence things and they change constantly. So trying to understand scientifically what is happening at any given time makes tires more of a grey science so to speak.

I'll wait for some actual m/c tire company engineers/techs to add comments

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You're on to something

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry, typed it out wrong, should have been "common knowledge" since the majority of it is made up or misheard bullshit :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Mr Turner think about this
    Laguna saw 20 WSBK entries
    MA had about these entries
    18 Sbk
    25 SS 1000
    25 600s
    20 Jr. bikes
    20 twins
    So whose putting down the most rubber?

TLR67 and Pitmom42 like this.
  8. turner38

When it is put down and what session is being followed could most certainly have a effect....
    I’m not saying it was or wasn’t the problem. I’m just saying I wouldn’t rule it out as a possibility. Will go back and look and see what sessions we followed. Pretty sure Q1 followed SS and SB sessions, grip was good and tires reacted as is normal, Q2 was the first session the next morning for us and again grip was good and tires reacted normally. The race however followed a WSB session if I am not mistaken with similar temps to Q1 and grip was poor and pressure rise was nonexistent. Probably just a small leak but it is always entirely possible that following WSB had something to do with it. Especially since others experienced similar problems following WSB...
    There is always more than one possibility of the cause of a problem and more data helps Isolate the root cause.
    JMO

pscook likes this.
  9. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Everyone talking about Greg and Jason's announcing, I think it's good.

I DID have to turn my volume down after about 5 minutes of Brandon ort Saturday being guest announcer. Literally every 3rd word, was uhmmm, uhhh, uhmmm, ughhhhh, uhmmmm.

Absolutely horrendous.

Circacee likes this.
  10. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

drop Well-Known Member
    New
    Everyone talking about Greg and Jason's announcing, I think it's good.

If you like to be 'Yelled' at the whole time. Why can't they just talk normal?

TLR67 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Part of the gig is being excited and getting the fans excited. Those of us involved in the sport especially if we've done this for a long time don't get that excited over stuff. Sucks to be jaded :D

drop and turner38 like this.
  12. turner38

I enjoy Jason’s commentary and Greg’s doesn’t piss me off as bad as it used to... I’m still not a fan of the mindset where they try to educate the fans as much as they do. I feel that most fans already understand what is going on and if the new fans don’t it will leave them something to be curious about when they leave if they don’t have it explained to them in detail while they are trying to take in the race. It isn’t just Roadracing it is all sports that seem to do that these days. They all feel they have to explain everything like the people watching are idiots. Just shut up and let us watch sometimes. JMO
    My issue with the majority of it at the track was simply the volume. I quit going to Supercross races due to the sound levels and I have to wonder if it doesn’t bother a percentage of fans that attend road races also. Sometimes less is more. I kinda wonder if many people aren’t like me, if something irritates them they just don’t go back so it doesn’t bother them. JMO

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have to remember most people actually are idiots :D

Never had a volume issue at most tracks. But of course it's always worse in the paddock especially if you're closer to the tower or pit lane where they all tend to have more speakers - that are then cranked so they reach spots without speakers... It does suck.

14. turner38

Laguna seemed to have a pretty good coverage of speakers and it even was a issue sitting in the corkscrew spectating. Even the National anthem sounded horrible simply because it was blaring excessively. Was worse than most tracks from my perspective.

Idiots will always be idiots. No point making the rest of us suffer along with them. :D

15. turner38

It was interesting to me what bikes people showed up on to watch the races at Laguna. MAYBE 30-40% were Sport bikes, the vast majority of the bikes were ADV bikes, Naked bikes or sport touring bikes. It seems the race fans are still buying bikes, just bikes that are more practical for them.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

old farts don't like loud noise....

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

fans always take more pics of the Twins bike in my cold pit than my R6. I suspect its partly because of exactly this. riders have figured out that an FZ-07 is a better street bike than an R6, and its cool to see them raced.

Dragginass and turner38 like this.
  18. turner38

Bothers you too huh?
    :Poke::D

19. turner38

It seems like we have more people talking to us about the SV than we ever did the GSXR or Triumph stuff also. Then again, it seems I get as much interest in my ZRX as we do the SV... Even though it is still wearing battle scars from a dirt road thunderstorm in Utah.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Sunday Laguna notes

With JD 4th in points in MA trying to do well in both the WSBK and MA races was a lot to ask for. I think the kid did really well considering and let’s not forget it’s his first year on a SB. While he did get exposure for himself, the team, and the sponsors in WSBK it could have jeopardized his MA championship quest so there was no point to push hard in WSBK.

JDs WSBK race 1 tire choice Std SC1 125/70 front & Std SC0 200/65 rear

17 out of the 19 riders used this std front. 8 out of 19 used the std SCO rear, and 8 others used the new development SC0 rear. Chaz and Sykes used the new pre qualifier Superpole rear, and using a pre qualifier super soft for 25 laps tells me it was difficult to get grip and the track isn’t tearing up tires much.

JDs WSBK race 2 tire choice Std SC1 125/70 front & Pre qualifier 200/65 rear

For race two 18 out of the 19 riders used this front again. 7 riders used the new development SC0 rear while 6 used the pre qualifier tire. And it’s interesting to note that Chaz switched from the pre qualifier in race 1 to the development SC0 in race 2.

Comparing Gerloff’s race 2 times to WSBK winner Davies, Chaz finished 24 seconds ahead of Garrett after 23 laps. But it’s 6 seconds slower than Saturday’s MA to WSBK race winner time. On Sunday JD went faster on the MA product than the WSBK tires. And when you compare his WSBK time to Chaz he finished 60 seconds back, so it’s clear he wasn’t pushing in the WSBK race.

In 2018 the fastest lap in MA race 1 was a 1:24.5 and this year is was slower at a 1:24.9. For 2018 the WSBK race 1 fastest lap was a 1:23.04 and this year it dropped to a 1:22.9. Then for 2018 race 1 MA the fastest lap a 1:24.4 and again this year it’s slower at a 1:24.5. In 2018 the WSBK race 2 fastest lap was a 1:23.4 and this year it was lowered to a 1:22.9. So, what I see here is that the track is very fickle, sensitive to weather, and needs a repave.

gixxerboy55 likes this.