1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake then gas then turn

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

I'm sorry, what? He's now giving advice on riding, too? Uh o_O:D

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Ummmm, no.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

First timers...he's not giving them too much to deal with. Wait until the afternoon to get into trail braking.:rolleyes:

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Everything is 100% predictable?
    The track is 100% dependable?

Good Lord. Never mind completely overloading a new rider with information that at this point really isn’t critical at this point and time. Discussing tire wear to a newbie is completely ridiculous and then trying to tell him how he can clean it up. It doesn’t matter at those speeds. Why give him more crap to occupy his thought process with?
    So you’re putting his focus on making the zip tie move down more? :crackup:

Not even going to mention the paradigm shift BS.
    What A Blow Hard. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Some oversimplification and salesmanship for sure, but he's not really wrong.

Dragginass and Britt like this.
  6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

not trying to speak for him, but i think he's trying to make a basic jump from street riders coming to the track that will coast through a turn. Not in the trail braking sense to load the front, but coasting for no reason but being scared to crack the throttle.

BigBird and Dragginass like this.
  7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

as far as beginners not needing to check tire wear, i ignored some wear i had mid day on my rear and by the end of the day my rear was toast. brand new supercorsa sp's. ill post a pic, but once you learn how to downshift to the correct gear for a turn, twisting the throttle isnt all that hard.

8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

11 gsxr750, supercorsa sp bought about 2 months ago with less than 100 street miles.
    rear pressure 26 psi cold, 30.5 off the track.
    stock engine other than an ecu flash and slipon with a custom midpipe.
    I was at Autobahn in Joliet in July. putzing around in intermediate...
    I'm not fast. I don't think I was ham fisted. I work hard to get on the throttle early, but also to keep smooth.
    Midday I thought, shit, I'm not fast, I read on the wera forums and facebook that I don't need to worry about that tire wear...
    By the end of the day I was sliding around a little.
    rear tire.jpg
    It's always good to know what your tire is doing. Cause I know this is not normal.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Check your zip tie

jd41, Gorilla George, SpeedyE and 8 others like this.
  10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Rear is too high, not using enough rear shock travel?
    yeah, that's the conclusion I came to. right or wrong, it'll have to wait until next time i get to the track.

I just do this for fun anyway. You racers are my heroes... :bow:

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Hes a nice guy. Some of his worshippers are, um... clueless. There are some folks that could benefit from riding a minibike before getting on a larger, more powerful bike... street riders especially.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Looks like cold tearing.

SpeedyE and JCW like this.
  13. I wouldn’t let him check the shocks on my golf cart. I’ve never worked with him but know people who have, no way I’d let him touch my bike. Not a chance.

backbone and SpeedyE like this.
  14. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

If I was a decent racer reaching the limits of the motorcycle, I don't think I would either.
    But what exactly has he done that was so bad? I'm curious...

I have no skin in the game, I couldn't care less if he's praised or mocked, but it would be nice if he gets what he deserves.
    He seems like a hard worker, though. And he has a tv/youtube presence about him.

Doesn't seem like a full on wrench, not a full on racer, just seems like a guy that likes to set up bikes/read tire wear and made himself into an "expert."
    Anyone know if he has any race team credentials? Doesn't seem like it. He's far too nice and friendly for that. ;)

15. pkaustin

pkaustin Well-Known Member

Dave is good people.

He's got to be at least 50 years old, and it looks like he won 3 class championships with AFM last year.

How'd you resident experts do last season?

Trent likes this.
  16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

The biggest thing that made a difference to the rider on the track was the bit where the rider had an instructor show him the proper lines.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well of course you don't ignore it. At the same time I wouldn't make it a focal point etc. Just keep an eye on it and as always if its suspect take action etc.

18. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

+1. I was always happy with Dave's service, and he rips on his R4.5 when he gets out there.

K51000 likes this.
  19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Every one of you that have met with the guy have only kind words to say about him. He must be a nice guy trying to help, his intentions seem good. But that doesn't change the fact that the phrase "brake then gas then turn" sounds just plain wrong.

CR750 likes this.
  20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

beginner street riding courses also perpetuate brake-gas-turn. its a very safe technique, assuming u actually accomplish all your braking before the turn. unfortunately, its also one of those "skills" that needs to be unlearned to gain any real speed on track.

I think Dave has inadvertently convinced people that sag and tire wear at the most important things when setting up a motorcycle. oh wells, it could be worse.

Gino230 likes this.