1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK-MotoAmerica | Laguna Seca | July 12-14 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Jul 11, 2019.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the thing potentially worse than different rubber when we shared the track with the Grand AM series cars during MotoST endurance events, was the dirt they dragged onto the track. Cars on road courses, as ya know, often put the inside tires in the grass/dirt to cut the corner more. Was not ideal when we went on track..

i've heard comments about it from a variety of news sources/articles/commentating/interviews every year they share the track there.. is it a real thing? no idea, but many believe it is.

2. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Doesn't MotoGP use Michelin and Moto2 Dunlop. I don't think I heard about it during those weekends.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So WSBK with AMA Pro, DMG, and MA have shared the Laguna for the last 15 plus years and this comes up in 2019? And what about when AMA Pro was a open championship? In those days you had BStone, Dunlop, Metzeler, Pirelli, and Michelin going at it.

[​IMG]

5axis and renegade17 like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah sorry, that excuse will never fly. Picking up boogers absolutely makes sense - happens to race vehicles of all sorts but has nothing to do with the rubber compounds or brands of rubber.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I dunno, we have ran different brand tires than others over the years and never had a issue. There were several that had grip issues during different races, it is possible there is something to it. After all the track is half of the equation. Sure we have always seen different brands on track at the same time in the past but not often a whole class laying down a substantial amount of rubber like with WSB there.

6. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

2019.. we millennials find every excuse in the book.

..and create some for good measure.

TLR67 likes this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Gentlemen
    I have explained many times on the beeb that the track surface at Laguna is unique. When you combine that with the unusual weather patterns that can happen in that region of California it all makes sense.
    IMO if you want more consistent results at Laguna the track needs to be repaved, and it's as simple as that!

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Sorry but no

9. JP cuts him off A LOT! Greg kind of rolls with it and seems to know when he’s been told to shut up- at least for a few minutes. Overall I’m still happy with the job they both do. Greg does his homework on stats.

10. Some of them were funny, especially when Greg even starts to hint about riding let alone racing. At the end of the podcast though Jason usually goes out of his way to thank Greg for all the work he did preparing, etc.

11. turner38

Really doesn’t matter either way, everybody will move on to the next round and it won’t be a issue there.
    It is however a very real possibility that the layer of rubber that WSB put on the track did not favor the compounds of the Dunlop’s and they reacted poorly to it. Seen similar deals many times in dirt track racing, when it is a big show and you see several heats on softer rubber (1350’s) the track evolves differently throughout the night than if everyone is on 1600’s.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Apparently MotoGP has a problem with rubber from different manufacturers causing issues on the track surface:

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2019/06/15/barcelona_motogp_saturday_round_up.html:

13. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

But that would impact all of the MotoA riders, not just Scholtz. It's a pretty silly excuse; he just didn't have the pace last weekend, and there's nothing wrong with that.

14. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I think Toni Race 2 and Cam’s Race 1 and 2 would suggest otherwise.

This is something that’s been talked about forever in car racing circles. Not sure why it’s so unfathomable here...

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

The track definitely felt diff from SS Q2 at 10am to the race at 4pm. I got a handful of good laps in Q2 with tons of grip. But in the race, I was spinning and sliding by lap 2. I'm not sure that I can blame the Pirelli rubber though. The order for classes was the same for both those sessions: WSBK -> MA SBK -> MA SS. So if the rubber was the issue, Q2 shouldn't have been as good. I mostly blame the higher track temp.

Im sure there's some difference caused by the rubber. But I think other factors cause larger differences.

5axis likes this.
  16. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

They also talk about it frequently in MotoGP and say that moto2 effects the MotoGP race due to the different tire brands used in each class.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. turner38

Yep, Rumor was Cam thought he had a tire problem in Race 1. Not sure that Toni had grip issues as much as Garrett just broke him where his antics no longer hindered him.
    We had grip issues also but believe it to have been a tire going down as the tire came off the track with the same pressure as it left at... Its always possible that it was a result of rubber on the track from the WSB session previous to our race.

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Did you use the new 0516 front?

19. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

stk0308 and pscook like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because it's common knowledge repeated around a paddock doesn't actually make it true :D