1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mini Racing Org near Baltimore, MD for 2019

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Toadmeister00, Jan 22, 2019.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It's a race day.

Apparently there was a schedule with the Sandy Hook event, so United rescheduled for Sunday because some people want to race SH and United and SH wouldn't budge.

2. StaccatoFan

correction

schedule conflict with the Sandy Hook races was what I meant to say.

3. StaccatoFan

Tomorrow’s races have been cancelled.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Dang.........the girls and I were going to head up. Whens the next event you 2 will be doing?

5. StaccatoFan

FYI Went to United today with my son and practice has gone up to $40/person for the day. Still a bargain. Just wanted folks to know about the change.

Jht643 likes this.
  6. britx303

Yall racing tomorrow?

7. StaccatoFan

Not this weekend...he's with his "other parent" (HIS words) this weekend.

Next weekend is Sandy Hook Sprint Race 5.

We went there for #4 two weeks ago on Saturday and United on Sunday.

NJMiniGP is racing this weekend. I feel bad for those kids, and all the other racers in this heat.

Got your daughters bike ready to go yet?

8. britx303

Not ready yet. Life and health have not been on my wifes side:(,so bikes have had to take a real backburner besides a couple failed attempts to race a couple rounds at summit. We are still doing our track at our house though in the meantime,but after seeing the mini schedule this morning I was wondering if you guys were going just in case my wife feels up for it.

9. StaccatoFan

If Alex was with me this weekend...we'd definitely be there.

10. StaccatoFan

Racing at United this Sunday...these are afternoon/evening races. Fun starts at 4pm..so I'd suggest being there at 3:30pm.

11. StaccatoFan

12. britx303

Alright Darrin.........we've got 2 minis bare minimum setup.........in other words 2 little dirtbikes with street tires:D. Hoping to do 1-3 practice days within the next month or so to let her get a feel for it before winter sets in. Let me know when you and mini-me will be there again:beer:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I see they have rental karts there but do they have any rental bikes? My twelve year old seems to be losing interest in MX and I thought this might be worth a try. Of course I don't have any bikes that would be easy to convert or even be allowed there.

14. ttm

ttm Member

I think they might have 4 bikes that are the start of their rental fleet but they are primarily kart guys, so they are trying to wrangle some of my friends who are regulars there to be their minimoto coordinators, and set the rules for rentals and such. So basically no, not yet.

15. Boom

Boom Active Member

I don’t have anywhere to practice so I’ve been going every friday night on a crf150f as of late and plan to continue through November. So far I’ve been the only bike and have the sessions all to myself. The barriers are a little weird but luckily they move when you hit them.

16. ttm

ttm Member

My buddies and I had been doing Thursday practices pretty regularly but I blew up my bike, and they decided Thursdays weren't profitable so are now closed on Thursday, so I dunno if we're switching to Friday or just taking a break until they hopefully bring back Thursday.

17. britx303

The barriers and layout do look weird and confusing on video and when we went to hang out one time with d-zum. I couldnt see clearly the flow of everything and looked kinda scrambly and unclear where to go,at least from the sidelines. Assuming once on a bike and on that track it either becomes apparent or you just have to figure it out by trial and error.

18. StaccatoFan

Alex has a football game Saturday at 3pm. I'd like to go Sunday but it's looking like it may be raining.

They're layout is decent. Once you're on course it's pretty clear. Like any track..you just go out your first lap or two and scope out the course layout and pick up the pace as you get comfortable with lines and reference points.

19. Boom

Boom Active Member

The current layout is great. Some turns are abrupt and tight, but this is a training tool so I only see an advantage.
    My issues with the barriers are:

1. I’m use to using every inch of track and apexing over curbing. With barriers, you need to offset your apex.
    2. With my terrible eyes looking through the line gets fuzzy under the lights with a sea of white and orange barriers blending together, but beggars can’t be choosers. The modular characteristics of barriers mean they can offer unlimited track layouts at will!

Also, it’s not advertised anywhere I’ve seen, but they have rental minis so if you ride big bikes or have a friend etc. just bring leathers and ride.

20. ttm

ttm Member

I rode a rental yesterday (sunday the 3rd) which I think was their first minimoto they rented out, it was a prepped CRF100 that had been Tony Pags' race bike that performed really well for me. I had only ever done practices there, no races, until yesterday, and had a lot of fun. The charge for the rental was ~100 on top of the event registration fee. One issue I hadn't really experienced before/anticipated was that it's kind of hard to even see the barriers when you're chasing a couple of people in a race scenario. I had times I was coming in hot to turn 1 and couldn't really tell where the barriers were due to the riders/bikes ahead of me obscuring my view!

There are some real alien type riders on minis, I was fast for a non-alien.