1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tankless Water Heater

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jul 13, 2019.

1. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

I didnt mean permanently. Just during a power outage. As you can see mine has an 8 foot or more cord.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No

3. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Wait, What? You have an actual pilot light? Have you lit it? Really?
    I thought everything now has an element that gets red hot, then the gas goes on. Then if the little rod doesn't sense the flame, it cuts the gas.
    Every year or two I have to clean the rod w/ a file/emory cloth/a knife, etc. to get it to stay on.

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Two 50g? Damn! That's a lot of hot water needed! My family of 4 easily gets by on one 50g gas WH. Even using both showers at the same time. I keep the theromstat on the WH just over halfway to hot too. YMMV

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. There’s a pilot light down there. I want to say it’s a ~2002. I need to change the anode, this week.

K51000 likes this.
  6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Love my tankless. Its Outside on the side of house.

8. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Lol... your copper lines are sweated in. That’s a permanent install. I would at least take that extra 8 foot out of that cord . But it’s then still not Code , and they have those for a reason :D

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I just went to double check. I lied, they are twin 40gals. There are only three of us living in the house, it's nice to never have to even consider running out of hot water.

Attached Files:

10. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Bottom line after reading this thread; the peeps who have the tankless water heaters love them, and the ones that don’t, think they suck, hmmmm

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  11. That’s what I have in my house.

12. blue03R6

oh are you a plumber or something? is it bad for it? asking so I don't try it and fuck it up.

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

No, he's not a plumber. He's speaking about the electrical connection. He is an authority on that. By the National Electrical Code (NEC), permanently installed appliances that require an electrical connection must be hard-wired, not cord-and-plug connected.

The only place I've seen the cord and plug connection allowed for gas furnaces and water heaters is in Los Angeles, which does not follow the NEC. They make up their own electrical and plumbing codes, as do New York City and Chicago.

BTW: Chicago won't allow that flexible gas connector for a gas water heater either. In Chicago, the gas must be plumbed with black pipe.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Actually, power vents for water heaters and boilers are permitted to be cord and plug connected.

What I’m taking issue with is the wording of his original post. Perhaps he word souped himself into posting the exact opposite of what he claims to have meant, but his OP reads that the power vent can be connected via extension cord, and that’s handy in case of a power outage so it can be plugged into a genset.

To be clear, permanently installed appliances must be directly connected to the premise wiring through either a direct cord and plug connection, utilizing no extension cords, or through a hard wired connection with a means of disconnecting all phases of power to the appliance in close proximity to the appliance, or through the installation of a breaker lock, so that the power to the appliance can be locked out in order to service the appliance.

Wanna know how many calls I get each year from real estate agents to install a garage door opener receptacle because some yutz put an opener in and ran an extension cord to the opener because there wasn’t power in the ceiling for it? Me, too, I’ve never tracked that kind of info. But it’s a lot, dammit!

ducnut, TurboBlew and Pitmom42 like this.
  15. blue03R6

I just provided a picture of my water heater that comes wired with a cord. And said it should be plugged into a dedicated circuit for the heater. And not to use a gfi plug. So no, he doesn't know what he's talking about for a temporary use of an extension cord during an emergency. It will not harm the water heater. So his "no" was him injecting his own baseless opinion and not professional knowledge of water heater operation.

As for the rubber connector I don't know what to tell shitcago because high efficient water heaters all come with one. This is not a hot air vent like a traditional water heater. It's an exhaust for combustion gases and it's barley warm. High efficient furnaces and water heaters both have this setup.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  16. blue03R6

The water heater comes pre wired with that cord. It's to code. You can call ken neyer plumbing and ask.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Whatever, pal. Anyone who takes your advice deserves what they get.

Pretty sure my bonafides are well documented out here.

You need to actually READ what people write in here, Bubbles. Gas lines aren’t vent lines, genius.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And it’s still an illegal installation if it’s plugged in to an extension cord. Call Ken Neyer Plumbing and ask. :rolleyes:

19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Ken’s not picking up the phone :D

TurboBlew and pickled egg like this.
  20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I was talking about the yellow covered flexible stainless steel gas line that feeds gas (running horizontally across above the water heater in your pic). The exhaust gas reducer from 3" to 2" and going back to 3" may also be a violation, depending on the rest of the installation but I wasn't talking about that.

As far as the electrical part, while the system will run, it is not installed in accordance with the NEC safety code. If your house burns down, you may not be covered for damages by insurance if the fire was caused by a non-compliant installation of appliances.

BTW: current code does require a GFCI for that outlet. The code was updated in 2011 (and again in 2014, 2017, and shortly 2020) and now requires one.

Its your house, do what you want. <shrug>