1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour de France thread

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 4, 2017.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

A lot of the time I’ll have the race on for background noise and every so often look to see bike handling skills and race craft.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Team boss said they wanted to keep all three riders near the front until they hit the Alps next week, then they would see who was looking the best, so sounds like they didn't have any one of the three marked as a specific "lead rider". TJ is probably out of the running now unless the other two run into serious problems early in the Alps.

3. speedluvn

As they say, the mountains is where the real racing starts.

Jedb likes this.
  4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I've got a new appreciation for it. I converted from MTB to road last year. I just did my first really large group ride on July 4th. It was a 50-miler with around 300 people. It's pretty nerve-racking to ride in the middle of so many people, with everyone just a few inches off of the next guy's tire, and with your bars just a few inches from those next to you. Factor in the variability of potholes or other obstructions, rider styles, and a bunch of other crap, and it was a lot of work! We ended up splitting into smaller groups as the ride went on, and whenever I hopped in front, it was hard to believe the difference in required output. I underestimated how crazy of a difference drafting makes! It definitely makes the TV stuff more interesting knowing how much overall strategy is going into both individual and group efforts on any given day.

sanee likes this.
  5. speedluvn

The draft can be your friend when you’re suffering on a human powered bike. And bike handling skills are important in close quarters as well as in the draft.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Either stay in 7th-9th, just out of the wind, or be the widest on the sheltered side of the pack.
    You don't want to be in the middle. At. All. Ever.

See the guy with the white helmet and white shirt, 5th from the front? Be him.
    See the guy with the orange shirt at the 9 o'clock position on the left? Be him.
    See the guy dead middle in the neon green? Don't be him. It's easier, but not safer.

[​IMG]

7. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Got cramps and dehydrated just watching the last 30 minutes of today’s stage.

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yes.

bigtime likes this.
  9. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

That was unreal. Brutal!

10. speedluvn

Yeah, I never saw an official waiting at the line to push competitors over the line nor have I seen a TdF stage with, in recent memory with a stretch of dirt/gravel road.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Tejay crashed today. He seemed a little shaken and had a hard time getting up.

12. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Hit a traffic sign. D'oh.

13. 2blueYam

They have been adding some dirt, gravel and cobblestone sections in the last few years, but I think this is the first time it was done as part of a climb.

speedluvn likes this.
  14. speedluvn

Cobblestones were reserved for the Paris Robaix. But I guess the TdF planners need to keep it interesting.

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Unless they go over part of a classics route that already has them, that's just kinda dumb.

On the uphill only, I hope.
    "show" at the expense of safety?

16. 2blueYam

They used those same sections in last years TdF.
    https://www.sbnation.com/cycling/2018/7/13/17561450/tour-de-france-cobblestone-cycling-history

I think most of the gravel / dirt / cobblestone sections have been relatively flat and usually less than 5% of the stage distance. It makes the teams do some calculations on how heavy / robust to go with on the tires / wheels. Go too light and you get a flat or bent wheel. Go too heavy and you suffer with that weight for the whole stage. Yesterday it allowed the organizers to add a couple of kilometers to the top of the mountain stage include some 20%+ grades. Brutal.

17. speedluvn

I agree.

18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Tejay out with a broken wrist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Lance would have still ridden. :Poke: :Poke:

ducnut likes this.
  20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Geraint Thomas rode a few years ago with a broken pelvis. Still, I can see a broken wrist being a problem, especially on the downhill sections in the mountains.