1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should we buy a Porsche?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sundaydisco, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. No, I meant Tahoe.

I agree, the Tahoe absolutely is an SUV. That’s why when he said the Macan was an SUV, I said “it isn’t an SUV, it is a Crossover. It’s not like a Tahoe...”.

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I feel for your confusion

Porsche, a truly soulful machine, depreciates like a out of control monster but the Wrangler, a shopping cart with a terrible engine, holds its value like gold.

I feel like I live in an upside down mixed up world.

Bloodhound, Bruce and ducnut like this.
  3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My bad. Read that wrong.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Test rode a 2019 Macan S and Cayenne yesterday. Beautiful vehicles. Not sure if its turbo lag or software for emissions that causes a very noticeable delay when accelerating. Cayenne was not as bad but still noticeable. Might just buy my 2017 v6 Cayenne at the end of the lease as naturally-aspirated vehicles are becoming a rarity among the luxury car makers

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My daughter let me take this out for a while a couple months ago...it's the turbo 4 Cayman. I felt a bit of lag like you stated but after a while you got used to it and it wasn't that bad. Funny thing is, I've stated for years that I'd get a 911 some day but just going to her place once a month and taking a car out has satisfied my jones. All the fun, none of the expense:D

[​IMG]

BigBird and socal like this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I don't get the whole car thing...just boxes to keep you out of the weather. If I'm going to buy an "impulse" buy car it's going to be an antique (kinda like me :)). Looking at a 1963 Tunderbird roadster. If I buy it, I'll keep it for summer cruises to the ice cream stand and maybe an occasional car show. When I'm done with it it will be just as nice and I'll pass it on to the next owner...probably at no loss.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My 3yr old is cuddled up to me as I opened this thread...

“A car, daddy! Look, a car!”

“Yes punkin”

“AND A BANANA PEEL! Look daddy, a banana peel!”

Guess who wants her morning snack? :crackup:

cha0s#242 likes this.
  8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That probably because when you buy a used Porsche, you need to factor in thousands of dollars in maintenance. On the other hand, the Wrangler service and parts are very cheap. You can even buy an entire Wrangler in parts from aftermarket catalogues.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Show me a 20 year old Lexus worth wanting.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

depends on your wants.

do you need to go A to B with minimal maintenance?

bored&stroked, ducnut and cha0s#242 like this.
  11. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

IS 300, came out in 1999 as a 2000 model. https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/is-the-original-lexus-is300-the-perfect-car-266261
    Or the LS400- still a nice car. http://www.autozine.org/Archive/Toyota/classic/LS400.html
    To the OP - Get the damn Porsche- you will be glad you did. I had the chance to get a Boxster late last year and had the unusual circumstance that my wife also loves that car too (as you mentioned your wife likes the Macan too). It puts a smile on my face each and every time I drive it and I look for excuses to pull it out of the garage and take it out. Plus a large part of the depreciation hit has already happened. Go for it!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not all SUV's are the same. My Tahoe does what I want it to and does it extremely well - yet it is nothing like a Bacon or a Cayenne. None of them are anything like my Wrangler was.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

2006 LS430 Ultimate. I put 365,000 miles on it in 7 years. Cost me $25,000 in maintenance, but still hit 143MPH with 365K on the clock.
    Almost 20 years auld. Great wee car and smooth a fook.

black knight and BigBird like this.
  14. rd400racer

I currently own an 03 that I caught a ration of shit from my family for buying until we went on a road trip recently. My daughter said, "dad, this is like a limo."

15. fastfreddie

Already have that covered. However, if you're asking whether I want to do that with virtually no maintenance, I wouldn't buy something that's soulless as a Japanese wannabe Mercedes.
    I would get a CR-X or a Prelude and drive it into the ground tho'. :D

None of those do a thing for me. Soulless.
    So, meh. ‹shrug›

BigBird likes this.
  16. rd400racer

That's what I used to think. I've owned a laundry list of cars that had "soul". Come to realize that it's a highly over-rated quality in a automobile. If I want soul I'll hop on one of my bikes. If I need to get A to B I'll take the Lexus.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've roadtripped in a Jeep for 7-10 hours with the top down and mud tires. It had plenty of soul and character. I'll take the creature comforts of the Ho any day over soul for certain things.

18. fastfreddie

Like I said earlier, it's not about destinations, but I would choose a vehicle appropriate for my journeys.

L8RSK8R and BigBird like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly, which is why some people like the soulless vehicles, they're great for long commutes or trips. It's why I like minivans as rentals for running 4 people from Vegas to Cali. I even liked the Armada I had last trip although it's ugly as hell and I'd never buy one :D

BigBird likes this.
  20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I bought a 2019 SQ5 a few months back with x,y,z packages or whatever after intending to buy a base model Q7. Point was to get something that felt good to drive and could be a 10 year car for family. I had my 04 Touareg for 15 years prior and only bailed because the writing was on the wall and I need the car for meetings etc. After driving the SQ5, realizing I pull one bike on an open trailer for now and won't have more than 2 kids, I bought the SQ5 and love driving it. A similarly equipped "less expensive brand" would have been over 40k anyway with less grunt and that god awful crappy door shutting sound. I also live in the city so truck/mini van creates overall length that I would feel in my garage and on the street. And yes I'd drive a mini van - smooth ride and more cargo space than just about anything.

Ultimately, I either care and splurge for what I desire or I make do with what I have or minimum need. I hate spending money in the middle ground.

pscook and BigBird like this.