1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Powersports Industry & M/C Roadracing

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

I don't know who you are, but if you want to get personal go ahead......

2. Critter

Critter Registered

Jeff,

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are distributors in this country NOT OEM's........ The only OEM's in this country are Harley, Polaris and Arctic Cat...

3. Critter

Critter Registered

Jeff, The problem is with tire manufacturers not controlling their distribution and retail channels, its a fact that I can go into a 7 line dealer that buys from all the same aftermarket distributors and look at his account with PU, WPS and Tucker, and see the same prices that I see online, UNLESS they buy on a tire manufacturers programs such as the Pirelli and Metzeler, buy 5 get three free deal earlier this year. So if the dealer does not participate in this purchase program, and instead buys dunlops and I want a Metzeler tire and I call his store to get a price he cost will be more than what I see online....

ducnut, TurboBlew, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Unfair to use the reality of the industry to make the point exactly. Once the manufacturers sell the tires to distributors, they've been paid and so have no reason to care how those tires reach the ultimate consumer.

ducnut likes this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

Arai does and pretty sure a handful of other manufacturers do. Notice how the price of Arai's hasn't tanked? Yeah.

6. Critter

Critter Registered

MAP Pricing...................

418 likes this.
  7. Critter

Critter Registered

You you are?

8. Critter

Critter Registered

Sean by the time the rules committee was formed July 2006, the ship had already sailed it was too little too late....The writing was on the wall, it was a good shot from the people involved, but the collapse was already happening and my point is the really good times were prior to that and if the distributors had gone out and obtained some outside help prior to all of that maybe racing would not have been in the same place at the end

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sorry but again no.
    The big 4 Japanese companies listed above have or do currently produce motorcycles/ATVs/UTVs/PWC/golf carts in the USA if that's what you think qualifies the OEM model in the US. But in reality it does not, but they DO distribute parts and accessories to their franchised dealers.

When I get caught up later in the week I will go in depth and explain how retailing works. Have a great 4th, it's time to take the grand kids tubbing on the lake.

G 97 likes this.
  10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Although both Honda and Kawasaki blend this line of distinction by having manufacturing facilities in this country as well.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Meh, one could also make a very strong and valid argument that it was far greater impacted by the economy.

12. Critter

Critter Registered

while they do produce product here in the USA they operate mainly as a distributor they have to go back to Japan for most major decisions. You could maybe get away with calling them a subsidiary maybe. The folks in the USA don't have as much control over what they get as product like they used to because the usa is a shrinking market. several of them also do not control parts pricing Japan does

13. Critter

Critter Registered

Jeff,

So I am confused, so you are agreeing with me that they are distributors or not?

If they are an OEM here in the USA, please take the time to explain each division of each OEM and how their internal billing works.

I would explain what I know but NDA's I have with them prohibit disclosing that information.

Also explain what you consider to be an OEM and what you consider to be a distributor. Just because a company assembles a vehicle here in the USA that does not make them a USA OEM.

OH and I now plenty about two step distribution, I controlled it for a company here is the USA that sold to MAC, MATCO, Cornwell ETC. So I know plenty on how retail works, so whether a company decides to be in a race to the bottom and how they go to market is up to them.

There are plenty of controls in place that a company can do to keep the price of their product from degrading. Many companies with 2 step distribution do it all the time.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I always called them the OEM's because they are controlled by Japan...

15. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I call them OEMs because they are Original Equipment Manufacturers and the world is bigger than the US.

stk0308 and Britt like this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

They are OEMs. Doesn’t matter where their world headquarters is located at.

Britt likes this.
  17. Critter

Critter Registered

Sean,

Interesting thought process, an argument could be made for that sort of, but in the end the corporations formed in the USA are not Japanese corporations.

18. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

What does that have to do with the fact that distributors sell tires to the public for prices that are within a few dollars of what they sell those tires to the dealerships?

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I just read the last two pages and can’t believe this shit - you guys can’t drink at work anymore? I fucking LOVE my type writer.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. Critter

Critter Registered

I think he was referring to MAP pricing and how some brands control their retail pricing better then others

418 likes this.