1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Tell Me About Texas

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike Lafayette, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

The company I work for is moving my job from Vermont to Texas and I have been offered in job in Frisco, TX. I know nothing about Texas other than what I can learn from the internet; hot, flat, a little lower cost of living, no state income tax, love of football and guns, etc. I am planning of visiting next week to check things about, talk to a realtor & look at some houses and apartments. If I did this it would be a big move for me, I have lived in the same house for 26 years and have only lived in Maryland, NY, and VT. I don't race but I try and do 8 or so track days per year.

Besides COTA what other options are there for tracks that do track days? How are the people? I like to be outside doing things, are there nice recreation areas? Any and all information is much appreciated as this is a big decision for me and I want to make sure I get it right, thanks!

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have never met a Texan I didn't like. Honestly some of the best people I've ever met are from Texas. I used to work for a Texas based company got my fill of well cooked brisket. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Understand there are two kinds of Texas. Texas, and South Texas. They will let you know real quick which one they are :p

DrA5 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Texas is fucking endless. Huge doesn't even come close.
    Like 'Toe said all in all good folks there. And some of the best (Tex-Mex) Mexican food anywhere.
    Have fun with your exploring. Y'all...:D

Edit: Almost forgot one of the main attractions...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    5axis and Joe Lopez like this.
  4. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I understand they are a few track day/ racing organizations down there . Just don’t ask to look at the Books :D

backbone, jrsamples, busa99 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There are more tigers living in captivity in Texas than in all of the wild around the rest of the world.

There's a fact about Texas that should blow your mind. :D Stole it from Joe Rogan.

SGVRider likes this.
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Steers and queers. And land.

Pistol820 likes this.
  7. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I moved here to Frisco last year after retiring from the USMC. Coming from the motorcycle Mecca of America, SoCal, it has been a huge change.

Tracks close to here will be MSR Cresson (1.5 hr drive) and Eagle Canyon (should reopen later this year), Hallett, Ok (4 hr drive), COTA (3.5 hr drive), MSR Houston (5 hr drive).

As for Frisco, it’s a beautiful city. Very clean, diverse and busy. Drivers suck bad, but everything you need is here.

The weather is terrible. About 5 hail storms so far which has put my brand new truck in the shop. 17 days over 110 degrees last July. Get acclimatized as quickly as you can.

If you need a very good realtor, let me know, we have an exceptional one to offer.

PM me if you have specific questions other than this.

K51000, TLR67 and Mike Lafayette like this.
  8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

....Just north of Dallas, so you could enjoy a crowd if you wanted to (Frisco doesnt look like isolation), but dont have to.

You will have alot more riding days on the calendar.

It'll be hot.....shocker I know.

My wife is from Texas, her whole family. Great folks in texas.

Give it an honest shot during your visit. Look at something on that lake, I'd bet realestate is better than Vt.

Good luck

9. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

subscribed... looking at a move to Houston from NorCal

10. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

As stated above drivers suck at driving. Be ready for a wreck almost every day. The weather is Summer then 3 months of fall, with a few days of winter. But the majority of the people are nice.

It’s a good place to live. I moved here from Atlanta almost 6 years ago. The BBQ is decent and the seafood is usually fresh and good.

11. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

You are going to hate the weather. It’s humid and hotter that the Dallas area where the op is looking at moving. But you will get very fresh sea food and plenty of mud bugs to eat.

K51000 and code3ryder like this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

So you’re saying it’s full of drug lords?

Texas- negatives big, hot stupid frontage road layout/Texas u turns and full of texans.
    Positives- lots of airports, in-n-out, hard 8 bbq, el fenix and Texans

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, I saying they have them because they can. Same reason there's so many machine guns in Texas. Because they can. Same reason there's a ranch there that's bigger than the state of Rhode Island. Because they can.

K51000 and backcountryme like this.
  14. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

That must be south Texas. Up here it is fall for two weeks, then spring, then fall again, then winter for 1 day, then spring, then summer, back to fall in the afternoon, and the summer for the rest of the year.

I have been driving down the road and had the temperature drop from 70 to 45 over the course of a mile.

I like Texas. I wish I could live more in the country, but don't want a long commute. Frisco is nice. I live in east Plano, so 30-40 minutes away.

K51000 and backcountryme like this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If you moved frontage roads to positive and in-n-out to negative I would agree with your list.
    I love me some frontage road and might go to in-n-out if someone really wanted to go and was going to pay...

jonathanp likes this.
  16. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Once you are used to it, the frontage roads are actually pretty handy, rather than having to catch just the right exit or you are screwed. Just get off early if you are not sure.

jonathanp and ducnut like this.
  17. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

It'll be a huge change from somewhere like VT but not in a bad way. You'll probably miss the farm fresh market stuff and knowing everybody. Perhaps the weather too if VT is what you're used to. Life moves much faster out here. Housing isn't "cheap" anymore because of the influx in Californians and the like, but in Frisco is really nice. Only thing that I really hate is the tollways. Also people will "draft" (tailgate) you on the highway. Don't take it personal.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Plano reminded me of Orlando. Tons and tons of new outdoor shopping centers and endless suburbia.

19. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Ya, definitely things that we're not looking forward to but it's a job transfer for the wife and our other options are limited. No state income tax and affordable housing is nice. Won't be our forever place but will help get us set up better for retirement.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

No shit...they'll paint you out right to an offramp if you don't pay attention.
    And they sink half bowling balls in the paint to help guide you properly. :D