1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Where it makes the torque in the RPM range is just as, if not, more important than the actual number.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Throttle position but yeah it's a pain in the ass.

3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Only if you keep backing out of it to keep if from shifting. The end result is loosing enough speed and it down shifts anyways. If you could lock it into gear, you could put it to the floor and let the engine do it's thing. Either way, you know what I'm talking about :beer:

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

How many of you “OCD” folks put as much thought into stopping your rigs as what RPM they’re at doing 85 up hill?

I don’t think anyone should over-work their truck to the point of likely failure, but America is one of the only places where you “need” a diesel with monster tow rating to get heavy loads places.

Everywhere else, they just pull it with a tacoma, and get there slower

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

And thats why those places SUCK.

'Merica Eff Yeah!!!!

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

8. Dave675

It all goes hand in hand

The better it pulls up the hill, the better it probably stops that bigger trailer. Gas burners don't have exhaust brakes from the factory. I flush the brake fluid every other year and inspect the brakes annually.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but at 3500 that that Cummins will be ready to come apart...
    The 6.2 is good for around 6,000

10. Dave675

And thats the beauty of it. Makes all of it's power down low, which translates into a better towing experience.

Can your 6.2 do it? Absolutely

Can a 6.7 Cummins, or any of the 3 big diesels, do it better than the 6.2? Absolutely

11. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Still going . jeepers. Just get a kenworth and be done with it. FB_IMG_1545205725215.jpg

AC1108, Phl218, masshole and 2 others like this.
  12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Nah, to be frank and this is the WERA BBS, you can never have enough. I don’t think you have quite enough torque to get it over the Denali peak should you ever be in Alaska. Man-up! :Poke:

ducnut, TurboBlew and 5axis like this.
  13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Better to drive a slow truck fast than a fast truck slow ;)

Phl218 and shakazulu12 like this.
  14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

There is a probability that some of the newer ones MAY get a little better mileage while pulling the trailer. They really won’t do any better job of getting the trailer up the mountain. Actually none of the earlier generation trucks I’ve pulled with were able to get over the mountain as easily. That includes a 2000 7.3 F350, a early 200x Dodge and a cat eyed Chevrolet.

Torque is only part of the equation, it takes horsepower to do work and those aren’t all that great in that department.

If you actually look at the tow capacities of those older trucks they aren’t that much higher than that of the newer 1500’s that are dressed out.

Plus I just don’t like stinking, clattering smelly Diesels....

Diesels went through a period where EPA crap didn’t effect them as badly as it does the gassers. Those days are over.

ducnut likes this.
  15. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

On the Ford you can. With the shifter in M it holds the gear. You can mash the pedal to the floor in 10th and it will stay in 10th. It only downshifts when coming to a stop. Unlike GM and Ram which just let you clip the top gear but it auto shifts below that.

Dave675 and ducnut like this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Spot-on comments.

When I hear shop mgmt say “Let the torque do the work.” in meetings, that’s just some regurgitated BS they’ve been told by the industry and they’re using it to try and brainwash us. Horsepower pulls the hills, pushes wind, and so forth. Torque only gets it rolling and can be compensated for with gearing (think, 12V71 Detroit with a 6X4).

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Haven't seen a gasser with an exhaust brake. And haven't seen a 1500 that comes with the same sized brake setup as a 3500.

Dave675 likes this.
  18. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

99% of the truck drivers on the road today couldn't drive a twin stick. Shit took some serious skill and you sure as hell didn't want to get both gearboxes stuck in neutral at the same time.

ducnut and turner38 like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I feel like one would just about have to grow up with one, to be able operate one. I’ve never driven a truck with a 6X4, but, could probably get the hang of it.

20. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Ahh the dreaded double neutral.. glad our rig was a 13spd. Still takes some skill, but nothing like the twin stick guys.