1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Metalhead Moment

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I just did a thing a little while ago and I thought that was a pretty Metalhead Moment (MM) The rest of the beeb must have had some of these. Lets here them....

I moved into a new house I bought a month ago. Ive been unpacking, cleaning up etc. They previous owner left some beat up patio furniture. You know the wooden stuff stained to look like redwood furniture, They also ahd a small burn pile in the back yard that had some half burned pieces. I piled all this up and after cutting the yard figured it was time to give it a viking funeral.
    I got the gas can from the garage, walked around back and gave the pile o'crap a slight dousing. Ok...I went full on Homer Simpson on that thing. Of course I've done this before. SO i take the 1/2 empty can and walk a few feet away from the dripping pile of patio. Grab a small piece of combustible, light it and throw it on the pile.

As I stepped away trying to pat out the flames on my leg, arm, side of the head, etc I thought well Richard Pryor still had a good career after his little accident. Then I thought, he was funnier than me though, so that helped.

Now what I didnt realize, and why this turned Metalhead so fast, was there was a slight slope down towards me. And some of the petrol and flowed that way. When I lit the pile the small amount of gas at my feet burst into a fireball. Thankfully it wasnt any liquid gas on me and it just singed my leg, arm, the edge of my eyebrow, etc.

Oh and I also half melted a nice plastic gas can and that was fun moving it while it was on fire so i could put it out.

On a plus note the pile of patio crap was obliterated, so Ive got that going for me...

ToofPic likes this.
  2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:crackup:Thanks for going first, but I do not think you will get any other takers for this.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Glad you're okay but that is fantastic :D

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I once started a thread on the WERA BBS . . . never mind.
    /thread

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Staying with the pyro theme....I screwed up and left about a gallon of old fuel in the track bike that needed to be disposed of. I also had a couple of shrubs that died that I’d pulled out of the ground and had left out back to dry out. On top of that, I had gotten my wife a chiminea, which looks remarkable like one of those old WWII pulse jet engines. Hilarity ensued.

6. ChemGuy

Thanks.
    The good news the part of my eye brow thats gone is covered by my eyeglass frame...:crackup:

7. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I'm not topping that......lately.

Glad you're OK, good thing the gas can didn't go ka-boom!

I do get my garden hose w/ nozzle ready when I burn stuff in my yard though.

8. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Does it look like the scar that Elias has running through one of his eyebrows, or are we talking full on bald spot?

9. ChemGuy

About of 1/3 of the eyebrow from the outside in is basically gone. Well down to fuzz.

10. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I lost all of the hair on my right forearm and got something less than first degree burns when I lit the gasoline/ dried shrub mixture in the chiminea. Flames shot out about three feet from the mouth of the chiminea and four or five out of the smoke stack. That thing continued to “flare” out of the stack as the chiminea drew in through the mouth. The shrub ended up as a really fine ash that showered across the back yard. The fire got so hot that the chimney cracked all the way down to the fire pit. Now I have to get a new chiminea. :(

ChemGuy likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Cerebro muerto.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So...who held your beer?

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If we're sticking to fuel related excitement I'll play. We've got a camp with a big fire pit, there's some pics in the fire pit thread, always have a big fire when we go. It's in a stand of planted red pine so I'm always taking down small trees, pick up tons of small stuff off the ground etc. Had the fire pit full to the top with small stuff like always plus a big pile on both sides of stuff we'd picked up for the next few fires. Piles were good sized probably 5 ft. tall, all small dry pine sticks.
    I use a mix of old rotten gas I take out of customer stuff and used oil. Never sure of the gas to oil ratio, if it looks thin stand back a little further. :D
    I use wooden stick matches, just strike and throw it in the the pile and be ready to run. So I dump a bunch on the pile, start trying to strike a match. Well they were old, took several tries before one lit. In the meantime the gas fumes were rolling out of the pit and spreading across the ground apparently because when it lit BOOM, flames rolled out 20 feet in 3 directions and caught the other 2 piles on fire. So now I've got 3 fires roaring, flames 15 feet in the air. With a carpet of pine needles for a 1/4 mile in all directions. :eek:
    Oh shit. I ran and grabbed a flat shovel to put the needles out as it spread, no way in hell I could put the brush piles out. Let them burn them selves out, wife shot some video on her phone. :crackup: I managed to not burn down the neighborhood.
    It's a little ironic because the pines were planted after a forest fire there about 60 years ago. :crackup:

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Why is it that when you burn the largest brush pile on the calmest morning, using three tires as "starters".....as soon as the mess gets rip roaring then the wind decides to show up? My burn pile is in the center of a field a good 50 yards away from the woods. I was traipsing through the woods putting out secondary fires and hoping no one called the fire department even though that was probably the smart thing to do.....:oops:

ChemGuy likes this.
  15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Long story short....had been drinking for the day in college. Went out on the front stoop with my roommate to smoke and we noticed an ant trail going across front porch. So we got some nasty vodka we had and were lighting them on fire.

Drunk guys go....what's better than burning a trail of ants?? Lets burn the whole damn colony!

So we find this giant ass ant hill on the corner of the house mixed with about a gallon of leftover 110 Oxygenated race fuel.

Yeah....the flames on that ignition jumped at least 5 feet in the air. The bad part, the vinyl siding on the house was maybe 2.5 feet from the ant hill. Apparently, vinyl siding is flammable as shit too.

Now the two drunks have burning ants and a burning house. Run to go get the hose, yep we weren't smart enough to plan for that, but to our demise the hose isn't long enough to get from the other side of the house to where we were or even to where we could spray it through the air.

Shit!!!!! Run inside, scream at roommates that house is on fire, start grabbing pots and pans to put water in to throw on burning house. Water has never flowed so slowly from a kitchen sink faucet than that day.

Finally get fire out before burning house down, but I did learn how to replace vinyl siding the following week. Did I mention our landlord also lived two houses down from us? Yeah...that was a fun conversation.

Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  16. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

You guys are not saying “ the end “ at the end of your story .

17. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

You forgot

The End.

Otherwise, great story.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

19. ChemGuy

The end.

And shit.

:D

20. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

well I was working on the old guzzi one weekend many moons ago, OK decades ago, I think I had replaced the timing for some reason. While putting the fuel line back on I must have knocked the petcock and spilled fuel on the gearbox, the guzzi has external stiffening ribs, very convenient for collecting fluid. You can probably guess where this is going. Anyway I didn't bother to clean it up and started the engine, except I had the timing 180 out. Yes it spat back through the carb and ignited the fuel. I'm thinking should I run or can I put this out before the whole fuel tank goes up. Well in a rare happy ending I handed off my beer and blew like that wolf in the fairy tale and managed to get the fire put out. I learned a few lessons that day.

Phl218 likes this.