1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole House Dehumidifier

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Did a search first as I thought this was a topic several years ago. One of our standard 70 pint dehumidifiers died since getting back into service following winter and the other seems to be barely pumping out any water.

I am tired of these standard $200 roll around units lasting less than an underperforming Red Bull Driver. Plus, we constantly hear about how they catch fire and burn down houses.

So, I am thinking its time for a whole house dehumidifier. I know nothing about them. So, any brand recommendations, pros, cons, etc, etc is appreciated.

If you got a great performing smaller, portable unit that you like, recommendations on that may help too.

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

@JBraun ... to the white courtesy phone!!

DrA5 and JBraun like this.
  3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

If it’s for winter only use a HRV works great for managing humidity plus you get fresh air exchanged in the house also

4. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Honeywell truedry systems are nice and can be run as stand alone units. I’ve had a DR65 in my WI home for like five years and it’s still running perfectly.

Installation isn’t rocket surgery so DIY is the answer if you want it ducted. They’re expensive as it is, so by the time a contractor tacks on markup and labor it get ugly quick.

DrA5 likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I thought this is what an air conditioner does

ducnut and K51000 like this.
  7. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

We have about three to four months in WI where its damp from the rain, but not worthy of A/C, as it's still 60-70 degrees outside.

ducnut and K51000 like this.
  8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

AND a furnace in the Winter- cut's it right down.
    I'm in SE WI- currently no A/C needed. Today- the windows are open. My humidity meter I bought for my wood floors says it's 62% today in the house, windows open. It usually stays in te 40% range with the windows shut.
    I do keep a portable dehumdifier running in my basement during the spring/summer/fall.

But I think your idea of a whole house one is a great idea.- sorry no other help here

9. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add we mainly bought dehumidifier because I installed Brazilian teak flooring throughout the house and in humid ass Maryland summer humidity in my house is between 40-50%. Your ac as it is controlling humidity to the point but to control it to the desired percentage you need some kind of de/humidifier. Lowering humidity in your house during summer will make air inside feel cooler...

10. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Have a 1925 dairy barn and I've been looking for a big unit to run in the old dairy parlor, to keep condensation off the tools, is this something that would work? Picked up a Phoenix Drymax XL portable at the local pawn shop that's been doing a good job this spring/early summer.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I think it would be okay. They have proper filters in them so it should stay clean in that environment, but the unit you’re using is probably more durable. Also the smallest Phoenix unit I’ve seen was like 125PPD, which is the biggest that Honeywell makes.