1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA at IRP

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Timothy Landon, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

The SVRA event is at IMS where the 500 is held, IRP is about 8 miles west and the US National drags are held there and the old road course is now used for parking.

2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

OK. The event I rode on last year was at the the indianapolis Raceway Park.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You really sure about that? Based around a dragstrip and oval and not inside the big speedway?

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Sorry to confuse things. The SVRA event I rode last year was at IMS, the facility where the 500 runs. SVRA and we bikes ran down most of the big staightaway in front of the stands then through the infield road course then back on the big straight. I didn't mean to goof up the thread. When I read Indy, I assumed the 500 track.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No worries!

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I still think WERA should go back to IRP. I never really liked that track, but I always had decent results. We could have a 6 hour endurance race for twins and vintage bikes.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way in hell.

rd400racer likes this.
  8. kenessex

Would you like some time to think about it?

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Been thinking about it since our last race there.

10. kenessex

I'll bet you can get it cheap. We could do a 6 hour there as a prelude to the next 24 hour at Nelsons. Pretty good idea, isn't it?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way in hell.

:D

12. kenessex

You keep saying that, but do you really mean it, or deep, deep, deep down inside does that really mean that I have some great ideas that you are just looking for a way to make happen?:Poke:

rd400racer likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd love for it to happen. I just don't see anyone spending the money for the changes it would take.

14. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I was there last in 97 racing karts. Tracks can be so different in a kart but it was a really fast track. It was fine until you got to the staging lanes and that was teeth rattling. Then at the exit of 12 there was a 5 or 6 high stack of Armco barrier that started at the edge of the track leaving zero runoff. And like others have said, that last turn onto the straight was bad enough with bumps and concrete walls on both sides but you also had to deal with several levels of grip going across the drag strip start line. All that and I still loved the place. There is just something special about racing in Indy.