1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless Impact gun suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jun 22, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Need some recco's on a decent one. I'm not likely going to get a ton of usage out of it, but just like to have it around for those random times when I'm lazy and want to spin off an axle nut or trying to dislodge the center bolt/nut on a countershaft sprocket etc.

Guessing I don't want a P.O.S. Harbor Freight that will break after one or two uses, thinking maybe I can get by with like maybe a Ryobi or something similar?

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Which battery ecosystem are you already invested in? They are all practically the same tools, 99% percent work the same as the other brands so just go with which one you have more chargers and batteries for already.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

<3 my Milwaukee

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Been doing exactly that and pulling of trailer tires etc etc with the cheapo from harbor freight going on 5 yrs... No problems

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The Ryobi one is powerful enough. Batteries are kind of crap though. Seem to give up every few years. I have since upgraded to Makita tools and love them much better in terms of battery life and the adjustments

6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Picked up a Makita a few years ago (because I’m invested in their battery system). It’s gotten way more use than I ever thought, built a steel building with it plus the usual stuff. It’s had the snot beat out of it and still running strong-I haven’t used an air impact since I bought it.

Crazy amount of power too.

7. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

The Milwaukee fuel system really is good. It can take off vehicle lug nuts with a 3/8 gun. But during daily use it had to be rebuilt once a year. In a home atmosphere it can’t be beat for its power output and size.

I purchased a snap-on 3/8 that I use for work. It’s not quite as powerful but very close. But it’s huge, and heavy for a 3/8.

Also Milwaukee will warranty them but it’s at least a month turnaround.

R/T Performance, Ducti89 and ducnut like this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Another vote for Milwaukee. I have DeWalt 20V guns and it doesn’t compare to what the Milwaukee guys are doing with their stuff. In fact, it’s everything my 1/2” DeWalt impact can do to get lug nuts off that were torqued to 115ft/lbs.

R/T Performance likes this.
  9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

+1 for Milwaukee

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I bought the Lowe's one on a recommendation from this place a couple years ago and it's been great.

11. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

The earthquake branded harbor freight gun is legit. Mine's been going strong for 2 years, mostly used for lug nuts on a track car, which it will happily zip off no problem.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Kobalt. Been wringing lugnuts and the like with it over a year. Solid.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I bought the IR when Amazon had them for under $250.....happy with it thus far. Takes the lug nuts off my truck easy peasy!

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the milmaukee 1/4 drive one is pretty good. Weak spot would be the 3/8" or 1/2" drive adaptors. I got the 1/2" gun that uses the same battery and it spins my 600ft lb rv lug nuts off with ease.
    If you look around I think HD has a milwaukee driver and drill with 2 batts and a charger under $200. What Im really impressed with is the battery life. Can have it sitting for weeks and it doesnt show any charge loss. My default 20v batts lose 100% in the same time.

ducnut likes this.
  16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

I already had a few of the Kobalt 18V tools, so got the 1/2" impact and it works well. I am able to break the rear wheel nut loose on my V4 which gets torqued up to 230Nm (~170ft-lb) when going on. I only use it occasionally, so not sure how well it would hold up for more regular use.

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Milwaukee 18v, fuel brushless for the win! 3/8 drive has 600 ft/lbs of loosening tq. 1/2" is like 1400 ft/lbs. bought both with charger and bag for 500. 3/8 travels with us for speedy on road changes. 1/2" stays at home for garage duty, rotating, and needing big torque, for bolt busting. Ski

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Milwaukee Fuel.

Ryobi is crap(I have 2).

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Look on fleabay for a Snap-On CT3850. There's one in Easley SC bidding at $0.99 with charger and 3 batteries, although the batteries need to be rebuilt. My experience is that rebuilds are ~ $35.00 each unless you go for the higher capacity cells.

I knew someone who used his every day instead of his air impact, and he never wore it out. The batteries wore out, of course, but not the tool.

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I have 2 of them and have had 1 battery rebuilt {$35 with shipping}.
    Snap on makes an adapter so you can use the slide on battery.