1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing is safe/sacred from the morons...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Fencer, Feb 21, 2018.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

I looked up the claim about the government still paying out pensions for civil war veterans. There's one. A daughter of a soldier. (Crazy story) She gets 73 dollars a month. But the article I found ran also gave the stats for ww1 vets. Pretty fascinating stuff. It went on to discuss the years the government will be paying benefits to Iraq war vets families.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If the issue was as simple as being offended it wouldn’t have ended up in front of Gorsuch and Thomas.

And :crackup: Judeo-Christian values. :crackup:

3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What is so funny about Judeo-Christian values and natural law?

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You bit...

upload_2019-6-20_17-21-38.jpeg

TXFZ1 likes this.
  5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I hope some day some asshole builds a monument dedicated to the AHA and someone else is offended by it and goes to court to have it removed.

This country was founded on religious freedom as one of the pillars of our society. There are symbols of all religions all over the fucking place.

If you don't like it, just don't look at it.

I can walk by a Jewish or Muslim or any Christian flavor of religion house of worship and see their preferred symbols and not think a damned thing for or against it. It's not my "flavor" so I'm not gonna order from their menu.

I'm disgusted that 49 people lost their lives in the name of defending our freedoms, and these assholes exercise their freedoms to disrespect this small token the community decided to erect as a "Thank you".

PS...RBG is a cunt.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    sheepofblue likes this.
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

A-Ha!

???

:whoosh:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The problem I have with that is a religious symbol... which religion? The 2nd was aimed at preventing a state religion ala the church of england which then would prohibit the free expression of others. People like skelator are imposing a state religion of atheism. Sure the cross is on public land but which religion is it southern baptist? or catholic? Do we also ban any public displays of religion? How about earth days gaia mentions? Of course we would have to level Salem with all the mentions of witches (wika). No yin/yang displays. The list goes on. Unless someone is pushing their particular flavor on others like church of england did or sharia law then @#$#@ it put up whatever is appropriate. Especially when it honors someone. For instance if you built a monument to the Navajo code talkers who did a great service to this country in WWII should you not include any symbolism that honors them including religious symbols if appropriate to that person? Ditto for a grave stone in a National Cemetery to a person who was Islamic, mark the grave in a way to show respect to that person including symbols from Islam (if that was the persons wish).

Freedom OF Religion not from it, that just makes Atheism the state religion like some wish to impose.

David-imoddavid likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I understand this and l don’t necessarily disagree. I think the critical factor is it being on public land not private. But it appears they found other grounds in order to allow it to remain, so........

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When it was erected it was not on public land.

10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Fonda Dix likes this.
  11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

The same can't be said for Slick Willie

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed but it doesn't make her wrong this time.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Christianity is a religion, the specific sect doesn't matter.

A religious symbol on state land is the state showing their approval of that religion. So having it there is a violation of the constitution.

Gravestones aren't remotley the same thing and those are marked with the individuals religious symbols.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nah. I’ll let you twist in your own myopic creative interpretation of our country’s founding.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

A monument erected by civilians to honor the war dead is hardly a statement by the government endorsing the religion. The government didn't pay for it, didn't force anyone to pay homage to it. It was most certainly in tune with the times and only in our nutty present do some odd balls go looking for something to take issue with. Let the dead rest in peace (and the rest of us too!)

tl1098 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The monument is on public property. Doesn't matter at this point who put it up, it is now owned by the government and picks one religion over others.

Lots of shit was in tune with the times and times change...

I don't care one way or the other myself but it is a government owned cross on government owned property and that shouldn't happen. I don't think it should be torn down but it should be moved to private property where it won't be going against the constitution.

I do find it pretty funny how many people who are hard core constitutionalists on some things want to ignore it on this one :crackup:

badmoon692008 and Knotcher like this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

That’s what I don’t understand. You either have separation of church and state or you don’t. I’m puzzled by their ruling.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get it to an extent - the government didn't pay for or put up the monument.

Was the land always government land?

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What is really interesting is that 5 of 7 of the people whos job is to interpret the constitution and make these rulings disagree with you. Yet you continue to insist that it is against the constitution...:p

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

That part I understand but it’s now on public property and it shouldn’t matter who funded it or erected it. So the government should divest itself from the property or take it down if they truly wanted to keep separation of state.