1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

^this 100 percent

I never understood why people need other people’s opinion about doing something sketchy. They ask other people’s opinion who advise them it’s not a good idea when really they were going to do it no matter what in the first place . This is all this thread is. Lmao

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Buy gallons of spring water for consumption. Never drink from an RV system, in case you didn’t know.

Bigger Walmarts usually have gallons of water in cases of 6, palletized. Makes it easy to load and store. If you don’t see it, on the floor, they may have it stored in back and an associate can fetch it, if they’re energetic and helpful.

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

It's all they ever are. People have already formed their opinion, they ask the question, but it's not really a question, they're just seeking validity for their preconceived thought, and they're just going to do whatever the fuck they were going to do in the first place.

The most hilarious part about this entire topic is that the question comes up all the time. And yet, it never occurs to them that maybe, just maybe, it's a sketch idea and they shouldn't pursue it...because so many people before them have questioned the same thing. There's gotta be 50 threads on this topic on this forum alone.

"But...but...muh Eco-boost! It's got power! It'll be just fine."

Next season: Hey y'all check out my new diesel F250!

Next season after that: Same person tells the next new guy "Don't waste your time with a half ton for that 10,000lb trailer"

"But...muh eco-boost has gotz teh powas!"

Round n round it fucking goes.
    :crackup:

TLR67, JBowen33 and ducnut like this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Tow ratings mislead people, every single day. Unfortunately, there are crowds ready to back those numbers and throw them in everyone’s face, at first chance. Numbers are just that, numbers. They never tell the whole story.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

^^^^

The poor OP - actually asked for legit info with little to no pretense acknowledging both sides of the potential discussion.

And yet! The diesel deity v. die hard gasser 1/2 tonners dogpile still ensued.

:D

TLR67 likes this.
  6. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I tow a 26' Jayco travel trailer, unladen weight of 4500 lbs, along with my bike and all my gear in the bed, with a 2017 silverdao 1500 with a 5.3/6 speed. No helper springs or air bags, just a properly setup weight distribution hitch. No stability or braking issues. (Love the integrated brake controller also). I leave home with a full tank of fresh water also.

I used to tow it with a 2002 1500 with a 4.8/4speed. The 5.3 is 100 times better than the old 4.8. The old 4.8 could not keep 60 mph on the hills on the way to Pitt Race. The 5.3 can do 70-75 no problem on the same hills. I've seen gas mileage as high as 11mpg crusing at 65mph on fairly flat highway, about 10 doing 70-72, and as low as 8.5-9 doing in the hills.

Having said that, I would consider my travel trailer and race bike/gear combo near the high end of what my truck handles "comfortably". I could see pulling a lighter weight bumper pull toyhauler with it, but that would be pushing the high end of "comfortably". Anything larger than a lightweight 30' toyhauler I would want to move up to 2500.

Considering the truck is also my daily driver, I'm totally happy with my 1500 for now.

MVA25 and ChemGuy like this.
  7. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

It’s all good. I knew it was coming when I asked the question. The people that shared real input/experience, I did listen too. Can’t please everyone though. After all, everyone on here knows everything anyway(I’m including myself to all those that might get butt hurt:moon:). I can’t justify spending more than I did with what I’ll use it for and how much I’ll use it. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll be “that guy” that knows more than everything...:whoosh:

It is funny reading about the 1500 v. the semi v. jumbo jet.

Thanks to the rain day at work, I was able to get to a weigh scale and get it figured out. Everything looks great, even with a full tank of fresh water. Truck is pulling well under what it is rated for, and the trailer is under what it’s max is. Tongue weight and payload look great too.

Sometimes it’s fun to throw chum in the water and watch the sharks come and feed...:D

Thanks for all the help!

Laz, ducnut, pscook and 2 others like this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Did you buy new or used?
    Either way be prepared to reseal all the doors and windows every year or 2. Also keep an eye on the roof sealant and vent areas for any potential leaks. If you keep water away from the wooden structure (walls/roof/floor) that unit will last.

You can use a qood quality silicone or MS Polymer sealant. I would suggest getting a tube of clear/white or whatever color you want and keeping that and a caulk gun in the unit. They make between 25 and 35 of those a day...thats one shift one plant. And they really dont like to be there more than 6 or 7 hours...soooo, occasionally they miss a spot. Also they do try to keep costs down buy using budget grade materials and the wolf line is an entry level unit. So again, just eye on it and seal it if you see any cracks or gaps.

MVA25 and Phl218 like this.
  9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The wolf pup style toy haulers are awesome...everything you need with nothing you don't. I've had large 5th wheel toy haulers, smaller bumper pull ones, enclosed trailers, etc... at the end of the day, having the smallest rig possible that still checks every box you need to is the best one. Of course everyone would love a 44' 5th wheel once you're at the track, but towing it, maintaining it, storing it, and paying for it often play a large influence on what you decide to go with.

10. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

New...thank you for the maintenance advice. I will do that.

11. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

That's all well and good, but what if a particular Mr. Broome shows up and buys all the water first?

ChemGuy, ducnut and socalrider like this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My local Walmart stocks 30 in the rack, each night. When I need water (I don’t drink our tap water), I go in the morning and clear the rack. I’m THAT guy.

In addition to the maintenance tips mentioned, look at the marine industry for higher quality products than what’s found in the RV world. Their electronics and sealants are especially superior.

13. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

That’s an interesting rig. Post up some loaded pics when you get a chance.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Throw uppercuts until he submits and offers to load all the bottled water you purchase safely, neatly, as well as, symmetrically in your vehicle.

bored&stroked and sharkattack like this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Instead of buying gallons of drinking water, if your tap at home is good, just bring a five gallon Rubbermaid or Igloo (or two depending on your need) along. They even make e-track mounts for them. Add ice before filing as desired.

16. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I hate that! I have a 50-gallon black tank, and as soon as I use it, it registers 1/3 full. My understanding is that it uses sensors that register moisture. It's not uncommon to have a piece of toilet paper get stuck on one of the sensors, and when it gets wet, it stays wet and creates a false reading. The tank will register 1/3 full even after completely emptying it. I go out the next day, and it registers as empty once the sensor / toilet paper has dried off.

Lawdog78 likes this.
  17. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading this in my head. I think I came up with an internal accent that nailed your intent, haha!

You're totally right. To be fair, though, the OP will be totally fine in this particular case with the Wolf Pup (awesome rig, by the way). The 1500 will handle that thing without an issue, fully loaded, and with the fresh tanks filled. No problem. You start getting anywhere near the upper threshold of the ratings, though, and all bets are off.

MVA25 likes this.
  18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

It goes both ways. There are also the guys here that recommend a 3500 for pulling a 5x8 open trailer.

19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ultimately- ( and I say this with my half ton Silverado gasser parked next to my 3/4 ton Sierra Diesel.)

Both sides are usually trying to help while somewhat trying to justify their respective purchase.:D

pscook and Greenhound386 like this.
  20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm a maniac about keeping my RV water system deconned. I still drink bottled water when at the track though we do dishes, shower and brush teeth with RV water. I might not be totally "safe" but it has worked so far. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. As far as gas vs diesel I'll admit that I usually go for bigger is better. I'd rather have extra grunt and not struggle than be worried about making it over the next mountain. It might not be penny wise but what's peace of mind worth?