1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Iran war.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, May 7, 2019.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Iran is saber rattling, the same thing Saddam Hussein did years ago. It didn’t end well for him, and won’t end well for Iran either if they keep up the BS. We can take out their ability to fire those missiles anytime we choose. They can’t stop it either. They would be reduced to an insurgent war in less than a week.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

What exactly are our interests we're protecting? They haven't screwed with our tankers.. They did grab a few of our sailors a while back. But what good reason do we have to be there right now? Wasnt djt originally talking a basically isolationist approach to things. I just want to know how we're going to benefit from being there, or from getting involved in a conflict there. What are we protecting and what are we gaining from it?

cpettit likes this.
  3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

They aren't selling their oil in USD

4. joec

joec brace yourself

Who doesn't? We're top 3 in oil producing countries in the world right? Iran is way at bottom of the list. So because we buy from the Saudis, now we're thier bitch in the gulf?

5. 88/532

Simple. To protect our interests there. Iran, like Hussein wants to control the whole region. We have alias there so that can’t happen if we want to keep them as alias. Same with what NK was trying to do, go unchallenged when flying missiles over Japan. Similar with China trade issues, let it go unchecked long enough and it gets out of hand to the point of no repair. That one maybe too late as it is.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

So....were Saudi Arabias bitch. Lol

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You need to pick up a history book or two and
    educate yourself on the region.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

If countries stop using USD as a medium of exchange for oil purchases then the demand for the dollar drops meaning the US can't deficit spend because there is no need to hold the currency to make purchases. Iraq, Libya, Venezuela have all tried doing it unsuccessfully. Russia and China are bypassing the dollar with bilateral trade agreements in their own currencies to bypass the dollar. India is doing some form of that also. The USD is still king but there are concerted efforts to dethrone it.
    Saudi gets a free pass on alot of the shit they do because they buy treasuries with their excess dollars they receive with oil purchases. Edit: the day they stop doing it is the day they get bombed

cpettit, stk0308 and Ian178 like this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yes. For decades.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

I guess that's the history referenced earlier. Its nice to be loved.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

"If" is a big if. How is a conflict in Iran going to prevent that? Because we're so afraid the Saudis will take thier ball and go home. Does anyone think they're not a prime player in this or an I totally wrong?

Think the Russians are staying out of it?

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I don't know, I don't agree with our foreign policy, I don't see how forcing someone to use our currency is good for the long term. To me, making conditions favorable so they want to use it is better but there's got to be some other things going on behind the scenes that the general public isn't aware of to take the current course of action. Maybe there's just of a bunch of warmongering psychos in gov't.

joec likes this.
  14. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

We're actually #1.

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'm not fan of John Kerry but he does summarize the situation with a moment of truthiness
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...s_dollar_could_lose_world_reserve_status.html

I don't think the US will lose reserve currency status because of Iran alone but hey a politician has to come up some justification for their action

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    joec likes this.
  16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Stupid phone lol

17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Alaska is a little different, no?

18. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

My point was "respond".

19. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

We need technology to intercept their missiles and spin them back around at them.

20. 88/532

Smdh. No, they are ours. They cannot exist as a monarchy in that region without us. We could take what they have and call it a day, but they are better as friend than foe. We walk away, Iran owns them in less than a year. Russia and China would watch them burn btw.