1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayaking, what to consider and look for???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jun 19, 2019.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’m no expert but get one that floats.

XFBO and Phl218 like this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My ex-GF and I became interested in kayaking. In researching them, I realized the seriousness of knowing what one is doing on the water, so insisted on taking a basic course. We learned so much about how to maneuver, recover one’s self, and recover another. It’s well worth taking a course, at least for safety and survival. I can’t stress that enough.

The shop we took our course through brought out a number of kayaks, from 8’-19’ to demonstrate different characteristics. Longer are faster and less stable (narrower) whereas shorter are slower and more stable (wider).

If you’re looking at general use, a skeg is essential, especially for amateurs. Adjustable seat backs and bottoms are, as well. You don’t want a simple plastic boat with zero comfort accommodations.

We ended up buying used units, paddles, and preservers out of the shop’s rental fleet. The kayaks are Venture Flex 11’s, paddles are a Werner middle of the road model, and the preservers are nothing fancy but are specific to paddling. We got into two complete setups for ~$1500. We’ve paddled all types of water from feeder creeks and lakes in IL to me paddling in the Gulf, up and down the FL coast, including in and around The Keys.

Do your research. Buying cheap, box store stuff can result in a negative experience and will have zero resell.

My profile pic is off the coast of Cape Coral, FL.

XFBO likes this.
  3. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I've been kayaking for over twenty years. The "right" kayak depends on the intended application just the same as the "right" motorcycle.

For 90% of the people, 90% of the time, a wal mart or Dick's kayak will suit their needs, the same as a UJM is the bestest all-around motorcycle.

If you're just wanting to go out and paddle the lazy river, pond or small lake, look for something in the 8 to 10 foot range. That's the general range for all-around use.

If you have specific application, then your boat will be more specialized and you will know what you're looking for. (ocean, racing, creek, squirt, etc.).

Sit on top kayaks are generally easier to get in and out of, and are more comfortable, but you'll be wet from the waves, paddle dripping, splashing, etc. For use on warm days and with fairly warm water.

Sit-ins (not whitewater) provide more water/element protection, but are generally less comfortable. If you tip them over, they are harder to deal with because they have to be drained.

If you're planning on doing any fishing, seriously consider a fishing version of the kayak. The built in rodholders and accessories are worth it, x10.

Generally, the longer the boat, the easier it is to paddle in a straight line. Conversely, the shorter the boat, the easier it is to turn and maneuver.

Whitewater boats are their own class of boat, and are only available from specialty shops. If you want to whitewater paddle, there is likely a club in your area.

The big differences between the "cheap" box store boats and the more expensive "name brand" boats is twofold. The quality of the hull and the quality of the outfitting (seat, pegs, etc.). On a cheap boat, the hull is injection molded and the seat is generally either a foam pad or non-existent. If you plan on occassional, easy paddling for a few hours at a time, this is completely not an issue, and the cheaper option is fine. On the more expensive side, thicker roto-molded hulls will take a beating (literally) and come back for more. The seat on a sit-on will likely be an actual chair and will be a lot more comfortable over a dawn to dusk fishing day. The seat on a sit-in will be plusher and have actual fabric and better quality foam.

Again, for 90% of the people, 90% of the time, the "Cheap" boats will do just fine.

If you have any specific questions, just ask. I'm happy to assist.

RichB, XFBO, Phl218 and 3 others like this.
  4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've paddled whitewater, surf ski's, sit on tops and touring boats. If you just want to paddle around the lakes and calm rivers most any boat will do. Sit on tops are good as you can get in to cool off and then climb on top. You can get wide ones, they're more stable, and don't turn as easy, longer and skinny are faster. Those that you sit in are more stable, you're not sitting above the water. You can also put a skirt on them and keep the water out which is nice when it's cool. A touring boat and whitewater boat with a good skirt is easy to roll and then you get to stay in the boat. Personally I like whitewater the best, easy class II is forgiving and still fun for beginners. Learning to roll isn't that hard. That being said a couple lessons to teach you hoe to paddle correctly and read the water and or someone with experience to take you down river a few time is well worth it.

Not many in the central valley of Calif, but if you are I have a couple 17 ft sit on tops, they're speedy, I'd loan out for a try.

XFBO likes this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, are you saying he does not need the kayak equivalent of 3500 dually , with a delete, etc.etc to have fun? This is clearly unpossible.

I'm with Stupid, ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The equivalent to that in kayaks would be like putting a newb on a MotoGP bike; could be very dangerous.

7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Rent first. Get sit-on-top ones.
    Avoid sharks or crocs.

XFBO likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Stand up paddle boards are all the rage around here these days.

Personally I think they look fucking ridiculous, but whatever floats your boat, as the saying goes

XFBO likes this.
  9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wait whaaa......are their crocs in Tn???? :eek:

Thanks for all the replies!!!! I should've known it wasn't going to be simple!!! LOL!

Going to be looking for rentals/lessons in the middle Tn area.....iirc, on our way home from the NE this past Sunday, we drove past a canoeing place.....will have to dbl check that location!

10. MikeDeRoche

MikeDeRoche SailCaptain

Looking for a family/father/son project?

Try one of these https://www.clcboats.com/shop/kayak-kits/

Why buy just a kayak when you can build one? Kayaks are like motorcycles, they each have a specific design purpose hence the need to own many. Who doesn't need another project or hobby to take over their life and garage?

XFBO likes this.
  11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Depending on your needs most kayaks for fun are not much different, If you want something to make your life easy. Get a hobie w/ mirage drive. Came back from Panama doing some serious kayak fishing. With never lifting a paddle some days doing 3-4 miles open ocean paddling with not much stress. cubera.jpg blue t.jpg

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Google “Ocoee kayaking” and you’ll have a ton of resources pop up. You can do trips on the Ocoee, get instruction on various types of kayaking on the river, and many shops to choose from. Badass mountain biking in the Ocoee area, too.

terminus est and XFBO like this.
  13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

love all the "get a sit on kayak" responses. that is like saying... "buy a supermoto only". rent both sit in, sit on. decide for yourself and your needs. let the woman, or family decide too. do push people into something they may not like. we prefer sit in... my .02 Ski

XFBO and ducnut like this.
  14. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Ditto to what Pants said. He explained things well. I will note that the better boats do make it more enjoyable/comfortable. If you are old like me that matters.
    My wife prefers her sit-on (hers was a rather pricey one, and it shows in its performance for a sit on). Me, I like a sit-in.
    There was a time when there were serious white water boats here, but those days are long in the past.
    If price is not the primary concern, I strongly recommend a real dealer, one that has boats of several lines and types. The chances are the dealer will be able to get you in the right boat for you and having the right boat makes a whole lot of difference.

XFBO, ducnut and Captain Morgan like this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Eggfooyoung is probably checking out your feet.

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I bought an inflatable 2 person at Menards to see if we'd even care for kayaking. Now that I know I enjoy, and she doesn't mind riding along, we'll be getting a real kayak made for two. There weren't any rental options around here to my knowledge so the $80 for the test dummy was worth it to me.

XFBO and ducnut like this.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Which brings up another good point: finding shops.

Two good resources along the Gulf in FL are Silent Sports Outfitters, in Nokomis, and Sweetwater Kayaks, in St Pete. I’ve been in quite a few shops and these two stand out for that area. Silent Sports deals in recreational sit-in kayaks, SOT/fishing kayaks, SUP’s, tours, classes, etc. Sweetwater offer recreational, SOT/fishing, and professional, offshore kayaks (so more serious stuff compared to Silent Sports), tours, classes, etc. One would think any shop in FL would be exceptional. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. There are a lot of hole-in-the-wall shops that are winging it off tourists.

In Northern, IL/Wisconsin checkout Rutabaga Paddlesports in Madison, WI. They’re an outstanding shop, offering everything one would want.

18. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

:stupid: This. They are straight up good folks and have an excellent demo / rental fleet to try different styles.

They put on Canoecopia in the spring which is basically a giant paddle sports expo with some smoking deals to be had. If you walk the parking lot there, a lot of people have their rigs for sale used.

ducnut likes this.
  19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

As a general principle, when in the water, my advice stands. :)

ducnut likes this.
  20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Mirage drive looks nice @Mark151 . But if you get one do you have to get a trailer rig to say you have a hobie?