1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayaking, what to consider and look for???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jun 19, 2019.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

OK soooo I'm sick of my teens only being interested in having their noses buried in electronics. I live near a few boat launches where I see kayakers all the time, I've never kayaked nor have my kiddo's. Anyone here kayak regularly? Tips and advice on what to buy or stay away from would be appreciated!

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Might I suggest renting first.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hate to be the voice of adulthood here but you might want to take some lessons first. Looks easy enough but it's a good way to end up dead if you f@ck up.

beac83, ducnut and XFBO like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That is not a good look for you.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Gotta look into that, I can't recall ever driving past a rental site but will look into it...ty!

Dang, I never really considered it to be any more dangerous than say canoeing which I have done before. :eek:

ducnut likes this.
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

Lots of different kinds of kayaking. Doing overnight across open water in winter obviously can be a little more risky than a summer poke around closed water. Lessons are a great idea. Leasing to right a loaded boat is important. But my 70 year old mother does open water 3 and 4 day weekends camping until mid fall. She hasn't been hit by a boat yet. Lol.

XFBO likes this.
  7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Where can someone rent a good kid?

BigBird, Phl218, 5axis and 2 others like this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They are back ordered.

BigBird, Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  9. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

We go paddle around the lake regularly. Found a 2 person with a rudder for $300 on craigslist and it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I also bought a single person so we could mix and match how we go. I was hoping to get him outside and away from all the electronics as well. The gf and I love going out and it's some of the most relaxing and fun time we spend in one of the most beautiful places on earth. The kid hates it. Best of luck to you.

Get a sit on top if the kids are younger or beginners. I sit inside goes through the water better but there's a possibility you'll roll and have to get out. Wear life jackets. They make backless models specifically for boating.

XFBO likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Unplug the router and threaten to kill the cell data plan...or hire Broome as your IT expert.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

dont buy cheap, not worth it. look for units that have front and rear V shapes at front and rear lower of hull. these will help the kayak "track". without these, you cant "coast" and have to paddle and correct all the time. we opted for the wilderness systems pungo 120. for us, they are more stable, and track VERY WELL. Other than white water, they are a "do almost anything" type kayak. craiglist, and renting are your friends. Ski

XFBO likes this.
  12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

sharkattack likes this.
  13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

#1 Get sit on top kayaks.

#2 Rent them first as already posted

#3 Buy like new, used off CL from someone who skipped #2 and now keep tripping over them.

OldGuyOnBlu, XFBO and worthless like this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Every damn time I go to Rural King I think "wow, look at those 17 different color kayaks for only $179!" 10 seconds later "WTF am I gonna do with a kayak???"

In other words...RENT

XFBO likes this.
  15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

If your going to buy a Kayak , you have to look at a Solo Skiff ... I picked one up a new one in Florida this Winter .. 14+ feet and can accommodate up to a 6 HP motor . I can keep up with most Kayaks just paddling , and with a motor your can increase your range 10x + to cover a much larger area for fishing.

XFBO likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You need to talk to Dits.

XFBO likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I vote for wide-body, square stern canoe...you don't always want to get wet. A wide-body might accommodate oar locks like a rowboat and the square stern mounts motors.
    Get aluminum, light as a feather.

XFBO likes this.
  18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Lessons first.

Learn how to upright yourself, how to roll and recover, etc. Those are life-saving techniques that you will need to stay alive in a kayak.

If you refuse taking lessons, rent a canoe instead. Harder to do yourself in with a canoe.

XFBO likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Is the roll and recover an issue if you are not laced in the cold weather version?

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Depends on how hard it is to get your legs free while under water and not being able to breathe.