1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Day Antifreeze Coolant?

Discussion in 'General' started by FED34FIRE, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You pay the insurance premium you can make rules.

TLR67 likes this.
  2. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Not just insurance premiums. MAJOR inconvenience to everyone involved.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

It takes 15min to dump water and add antifreeze for the winter and another 15min to switch back in the spring.o_O

TLR67 and 5axis like this.
  4. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

I was just generally curious. I have always used water wetter in the past. I just don't know how good it is for an engine in the long run. I understand a race engine being rebuilt every year. But I can't imagine it's good for long term use in street bikes that do double duty as a track day bike.
    There's a good reason coolants have the ingredients and the properties it does. Not only for freeze protection but to properly control heat on the metal surfaces. Water can easily boil off of the metal leaving pockets of air. This is called cavitation. It will destroy metal. Ever see a water pump missing the impeller? It was eaten away by cavitation.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing special in glycol that makes it any better for anything other than freeze protection.

6. blue03R6

To do it right it is much more involved than draining it from the pump bolt. You need to remove hoses too. It would be nice if there were a good product that was track safe and mongo approved lol

7. DWhyte91

Ya, you hook up your garden hose to it and flush it. Fill the system, start the bike and get it up to temp so the thermostat opens up, dump it again. Repeat 2-3 times so the water is clear and then add your water and WW. I live in Canada and do this every year. It’s not “involved”.

5axis likes this.
  8. blue03R6

Never use tap water. Especially where I live. Too many crusty minerals in it.

BigBird likes this.
  9. DWhyte91

So flush it with distilled twice after using the hose. Again, this isn’t an “involved” process.

TLR67 likes this.
  10. blue03R6

Yeah it kind of is. They uses special clamps on the hoses now that requires a special tool to remove. They look like the earless clamps but are quite different. And I would have to remove fairings. It's an ordeal and I have a lift table.

11. DWhyte91

Alright, good luck.

12. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Either Motul Mocool (NOT MOTOCOOL) or Water Wetter. Anything that offers freeze protection is automatically prohibited.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are allowed to change to normal hose clamps....

Banditracer likes this.
  14. DWhyte91

That’s too involved

Chris, malik ross, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Arguing with an idiot makes you, well nm.

DWhyte91 likes this.
  16. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

LoL. How bout Patron Silver
    ?

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If I can also add, water w/water wetter cools the engine better than antifreeze. I used it on my street bikes until winter.

19. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

There is some stuff I just recently put in my bike that's glycol free violent. I'm forgetting the name but I'll get it for you.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I doubt that. Glycol raises the boiling point of water higher than WW under the same pressure. If you notice... many race bikes have a higher pressure radiator cap to account for the lack of glycol in the cooling system and sometimes a much larger radiator capacity.