1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s my understanding, the lack of lubrication in the fuel is the sole issue of the CP4 and the FASS-type systems don’t help, because lifting the fuel and filtration aren’t the issues. Also, without filtration after the CP4, there’s no chance at catching the shavings which supposedly start at mile #1.

Again, I’m no expert on all this stuff.

2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Hence the additive ;)

The lift pump won’t save anything if the CP4 goes. If it goes it goes. If you want to delete the truck you can convert it to the old style pump that doesn’t have these possible issues.

ducnut likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Thanks, man! That makes sense.

I periodically used Howe’s in my semi-truck. With a see-through filter housing, the element would be black in a thousand miles. The shop would comment they couldn’t understand how I go through so many filters. :D

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

blasphemy!!!1!! :) Gas has no ass!!!

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  5. DWhyte91

There’s a test of the popular additives on the inter webs and how much lubricity the add, many of them actually remove it so choose wisely.

I agree though, we shouldn’t have to do this.

ducnut likes this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Was chatting with a cousin who works at a diesel shop. Here in Oregon, they mandate bio in diesel. I believe its up to b5 now and some stations are as high as B20. He said that B2 restores all the same lubricity that old diesel fuel has and since that went into affect, they have had few problems with CP4's.

For Fords in particular there is a cheap "Disaster Prevention Kit" you can install. Won't save the pump from going, but if it does, it saves everything else.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-powerstroke-disaster-prevention-kit.html

ducnut likes this.
  7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We just got back from Utah, 4,000 miles round trip. Our 6.2 Chevy averaged 10.4 for the trip running 70-75 and just laughed at the hills with the 8x22 trailer that is on the tall side and loaded for all it’s worth. But it is a 1500 truck also though, they are a little easier on fuel than the 2500’s.
    It honestly pulls much better than the 7.3 F350 we use to pull the race car stuff with. Haven’t had the race car behind it yet though.

ducnut likes this.
  8. turner38

Ford tries to blame it on contamination via the TSB, neither of the ones I did had ANY signs of contamination. Both of them did have a lift pump fail initially and starve the pump. The fuel is all that lubes the pump and that started it at very least accelerated the damage. Have not ran across any other brands with issues, I’m not a diesel shop though and have limited exposure to them.

ducnut likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thats pretty awesome considering the speed. What kind of range on the tank? 300 miles?

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, that 6.2L is a beast. Wish my truck had that instead of the weak-ass 5.3L.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Isn’t that GM engine more of a car than a truck engine?

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is a problem in the pre-2013 VW 3.0L TDI (including Porsche and Audi). Much more rare failure in the 2013-2017 models but still a few reported cases. They are are all covered under the diesel-gate warranty provided you went in for the "fix" and haven't exceeded the mileage / time on it yet. Most of the pre-2013 were bought back by VW as the deal was just too good. I won't hit the miles, so it will be October 2022 when my 2013 runs out of coverage (10 years from date of purchase). They fail much less often in other parts of the world where the lubricity is higher in the diesel fuel.

13. turner38

It is really impressive, the 05 5.3 truck we took last year didn’t like the elevation with everything just loaded in the bed going across 70 and 80. The 6.2 rolls up
    It like it is nothing, even with the elevation. The eight speed may be a part of that also.

ducnut likes this.
  14. turner38

We were stopping around 200 miles and not pushing it. May could have made it to 240-250. I have never ran it that low though....

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Just another LS-based engine, like all the displacements below it and used across the various product lines.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Just as well you keep plenty of fuel in the tank and keep the fuel pump submerged. Running them to empty and allowing the pump to heat up hurts their longevity.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bet more of 'em go into trucks than 'Vettes, so likely a truck engine first. Add a different intake, cam, tune and yeah, now it's ready to be squeezed into a Geo/Saturn.

ducnut likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Just one question about GM pickups, are the steering wheel and driver's seat still off-center from each other?

969 likes this.
  19. DWhyte91

Doesn’t the 6.2L require premium?

I’m starting to consider the 5.3L with the 8 speed gear box but not sure if it’s just going to hunt for gears constantly and piss me off.

20. DWhyte91

Yes