1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road America - MotoAmerica Round 4

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 21, 2019.

1. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

They (the announcers) also were wrong about the 146.9mph trap speed... that was an FZ, in a draft.

I think everyone, new to the class including the announcers, were getting their feet wet at the Road Atlanta race. Now that we are several rounds in, we are off of our heels and getting in a groove. Its a tight points race and showing that not a single manufacturer/team will run the class. I love it.

Red Fox Racing and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. That isn't cheating, that is just knowing the rules and giving a bit back instead of them taking a lot. I was at Road Atl and actually watched the twins race in a few spots on the back straight. You could clearly hear that bike change exhaust note and that had nothing to do with the draft. Obviously Barney is a hell of a rider and small but go back and watch that race, not your typical draft and pass and I also don't think it was a case of I'll pull up in his draft then pull out at the last second in order to avoid a draft back. Not much use in explaining anything to you as he might as well be running michelins...

YamRZ350 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Road Atlanta LOVES mid range torque. Much much much much more than top end.

dmj_88 likes this.
  4. edd77

edd77 Member

This is true, 2 things about the Road Atlanta back straight - Its not flat and the fastest part isn't straight! There is so much more about getting
    a bike to go fast there than just HP (although this helps!). This is a great class, but the moaning about others having something you don't is a mentality that is rare at a higher
    level, you will find teams will look to themselves to find a way to make their equipment/setup better, rather than believe that there is no way someone else could have
    done a better job!

yokohama1 likes this.
  5. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Hasnt everyone learned that if it's faster than an SV, it's cheating?

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

So you're suggesting he was rolling off? I know you're not suggesting there's electronic wizardry involved, that would be too easy to see for anyone who just walked up to the bike.

With regard to trap speeds again, the draft plays a huge role with these small bikes. Even if it's not in a traditional draft-and-pass scenario, getting off the corner with a big group of bikes will make a big difference in the trap speed. We proved this at Road America, look at Fisher's lap from Q2, first lap he was following the fast guys and that first lap had the highest trap speed.

Many of my fastest laps did not have the highest trap speed, and I'm not the only one.

7. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

The trap speed capture isn't at the fastest part of track.

8. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

I knew you were smart. You can drop the dumb act now.

t11ravis and JJJerry like this.
  9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Is it an act??

10. Yes indeed and it also is very rewarding to someone who knows how to take advantage of that.

11. I’m suggesting Barney is smart enough to know if the bike was miles ahead in speed of the field, with the rules the way they are the bike would be handicapped to slow it down. At least I’d assume they’d slow down his bike vs making rest of the field faster (in theory). Doesn’t mean he’s cheating one bit, go watch road atl again. Maybe it appeared more obvious in person but I thought the same after watching it on tv. That bike on paper seems like a road atl style bike so that didn’t hurt either.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Something else to consider... First race of the year with no intention to run the entire series so they bring a hotrod motor built for max performance within the rules. Now that they are in for the year, they tune it back a bit for longevity. At Rd America I was told they took some rpm out of the motor to make sure it went the distance.

r6boater, MELK-MAN and turner38 like this.
  13. great point.

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I love how every MotoAmerica thread turns into Twins no matter what.

Rightfully so being they are the pinnacle of racing perfection.

Other than MotoGP, show me one series with more diverse athletes competing head to head.

418, r6boater, 5axis and 6 others like this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: The more things change the more they stay the same. Why do the lightweight classes always go through the same issues and discussions.

It never ends. CCS 2.0 :crackup:

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure how dominant that Duck would have seemed if we hadn’t had issues. We were down on power at both Road Atlanta and VIR from my blind ass somehow getting the timing mark for the rear cylinder in the wrong place by 10-15 degrees....
    That caused it to eat a valve during first practice because the cams were effectively a tooth retarded after a head retorque.
    Didn’t find the mark off until after VIR.

This has been a shit season for us so far, that mistake really cost us, as did the master Cylinder Fiasco, the qualifying crash and everything else that resulted from it at Road Atlanta.
    Then we screwed up and made a suspension switch headed into a short weekend at VIR, although the components are actually better it was just a bad time to make a change, with very limited track time at the track that is probably the worst one for Kris we will see all year.
    Kris showed what he had at Road America, despite a clogged fuel filter making things much more difficult for him. I didn’t realize that until we got home and I plugged the laptop up and looked at Autotune tables and saw it wanting to add 20-25% more fuel at peak.
    Last weekend was a culmination off all of this, resources limited we chose to put new tires on for q1 and hope they had enough left for Q2. They didn’t so we sat most of it out. For whatever reason Kris tossed it on the first lap. I don’t really see it as him pushing to hard or to early. Maybe that he just lost focus for a moment and it caught him out.
    If we manage to find the funds to get to Laguna and Sonoma after the year we have had maybe we can turn this year around. I really have to figure out a way to take some pressure off the rider though. He puts enough on himself as it is, when you start adding on contingency differences along with money being short it adds way too much pressure to win.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yea.. cause you know all just from watching from a few hundred yards away. Where do i get that mobile ap that 1) reads minds of riders 2) shows me telemetry of riders on track ... There are opinions and observations, even educated, then there is pure bullshit speculation for the sake of speculation. Maybe Barnes and the MC guys were cheating, you don't know that though, you can't know that. Just like i can't possibly know they weren't with 100% certainty.

werd..

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Brad Pitt said it best... "stay on the bike" ;) Good luck with the rest of the season! he's got speed, that is very clear. He's just gotta be in it to win it. Cool to see he's getting some backing along the way, so my view is shared by others, clearly.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, most of the Twins riders are club racers and run with us or those on here run with them. :D

20. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Maybe hire a professional tuner or take a step back until you have the funds to stop having so many fuck ups? :rolleyes:

Every race weekend it's an excuse for this or that and how Kris could have totally dominated and won. It's getting tired.

badmoon692008, alan and rcarson15 like this.