1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dainese Smart Jacket universal airbag vest

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian_J, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Brian_J

Brian_J Active Member

tdelegram likes this.
  2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

"If it's been activated, all you have to do is take it to an authorized dealer, who will replace the internal Shield with no hassle, no complex operations and no long wait times."
    This is an interesting choice. Does that mean the dealer has to be qualified to do the replacement?(the legalities here can be interesting) Since it sounds like a one use "Shield" can someone carry a spare and replace it themselves, say, if on tour and you have a whoopsie? Or, for this audience, at the track and have a minor, but activating, event. But, still have another race later you can make.

Interesting stuff. Not sure about the claimed breathability if it's waterproof.

If it's wedged into a suit that only just fits it in undeployed, what kind of pressure is it going to exert on the person, or worse the suit, when deployed?

Brian_J likes this.
  3. Dave Skylark never backs down from a jerk off!

4. Jeveritt

Jeveritt Well-Known Member

--

Hopefully these questions get answered soon! I was told that this would be coming back in Jan. 18 and have been anxiously waiting.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well the first is easy, of course Dainese will train/certify the authorized dealers, that's how they get authorized :D

Nothing is ever truly waterproof or breathable so that's a moot point.

You absolutely can carry around a spare vest. No you cannot buy a spare shield as that is what the authorized dealers are doing is replacing it.

No clue on what happens if your jacket is too tight.

6. stk0308

Ok then Mr Dainese, how about this. Riddle me how much $$$ is the shield, compared to a vest :)

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue as they won't be selling the shield separately so you'll be paying for it and the techs time when you get it repaired :D

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

No collar bone protection?

Sent from my smatrfone

9. stk0308

Looks like there's some from a helmet strike, but not from a side of the shoulder impact.

10. Ive deployed my D-Air suits a few times. Im not going to lie, if your suit fits right, there is a good bit of pressure. Enough that I first thought something was wrong (with me), because of the pressure from the airbag. It felt really weird on my shoulders and back, like something was messed up.

But after a delay, it starts to vent and the pressure relieves itself.

I wouldn't say it is "painful", but it will catch you off guard the first time. But there has to be sufficient air pressure to absorb an impact, so it is necessary.

Brian_J and stk0308 like this.