1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike suggestions for my Dad.....

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Congrats to your Pops.....

2. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Just north of durham, nc

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Congrats! :clap::clap: Hope he enjoys his oil head as much as I did mine.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love the end result of this :crackup:

crusty9r likes this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I know, right?

The heart wants what it wants, I guess.

6. NemesisR6

Well, after a couple months of ownership, he's going to have to go a different route. Unfortunately he bit off more than he could chew with the size/weight of the R120o. He's just not comfortable enough at slow speeds and adverse conditions (wet pavement etc.).

I've got him looking at some of the more inseam-friendly bikes mentioned in here, but in the meantime if anybody's in the market for a mint tourer, head on over to the classifieds.

7. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My next-door neighbor still has that pristine Kawasaki Concours if you’re interested.

jrsamples likes this.
  8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, here goes.....Look for a FJ1100/1200. They were made from '84 through '93 and there are a lot of good ones still out there. $3 to $4 k for a nice one with reasonable miles and side cases, etc. Plenty of motor, many have been farkled to include 17" wheels, blue spot brakes, givi cases, etc. All the support you could ever want on the FJowners.com web site. Seat height is reasonable and bar height can be adjusted to suit your style. Disclaimer....I have 2 and they are in my will.....:crackup:

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

:stupid:

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

What’s he interested in now?

11. NemesisR6

He's kinda all over the place, unfortunately. I told him to go back and look at the CTX line from Honda and actually ride one, but now I caught him looking at older bikes, like a Honda Magna.

So at this point, I don't really know where he's at, lol.

DmanSlam and cBJr like this.
  12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

When I'm near the end of my riding years, I'll probably go for a maxi scooter like a Honda Silverwing or a Yamaha T-Max or BMW C 650 GT or Suzuki Burgman. These are the easiest things to ride, are super comfortable, have great equipment including TC and ABS and can handle highway speeds very easily. Some old folks ride all the way from Montreal to Florida on those without any problems. If he still has the ego of a young man, he might not find them very manly, but that's the safest thing he can be on right now.

13. NemesisR6

Well, after deciding to hold onto the bike and making a few adjustments, he is in love with this Beemer. Just got back from a 4,000+ mile trip from Florida, few days in Tennessee, then a week of riding around Minnesota with a large group of tourers and then roundabout home. Said the bike cruises like a dream and hadn't had that much fun on two wheels since his 30's (he turned 79 in March).

Also made a stop at the Porsche Experience Center and was reunited with some of his babies from racing in the 70's. I also included a little tidbit of a story that one of his former colleagues shared on the Facetoobs............he never told me about that, so I pressed him and its as ridiculous as it sounds. Dude pinned a 935 race car all around Jacksonville until the cops chased him down, lol.

Attached Files:

969, TurboBlew, cBJr and 5 others like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Can't keep a good man down! Awesome stuff and probably motivation for the rest of us that we can keep riding :)

NemesisR6 likes this.
  15. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Oh man I live in Jax and that is too funny. Great story.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The shots with the cars and pics of him are truly cool.

17. NemesisR6

So it looks like my Dad's time with his BMW are coming to an end. He has a 3 week trip planned this summer to the midwest and is likely going to have to find something else prior........he will be 82 next month and while the stamina and will is there, the lack of strength in his legs just doesn't inspire confidence in stops on his BMW GS anymore.

We're now looking seriously at something like a Can-Am........he went and looked at this one that's right down the road:

https://www.route1motorsports.com/P...rse-SE6-Route-1-Motorsports-11616322?ref=list

Thoughts? Experiences?

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No experience, but if I couldn't manage two wheels, that would be an acceptable alternative.

BigBird likes this.
  19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Can am three wheeler thingymagiggy.

Met a guy at the post office bout 7 years ago...pulled up on one. Fugger was 80something years auld.
    Rotax motor.
    He'd been riding bikes for 70 years, cool auld fuck.

BigBird likes this.
  20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Fuckin' cool , great bike....good son.
    Mile's and Mile's of fun to be had.