1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler towing experience with a 1500

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jun 15, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d definitely be ashamed pulling up in that shitbox.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

image.jpeg Well - it's a good thing a few of you were condescending and know it all enough for me to see the error of my ways.

You dumbass 1/2 ton guys need to get on board.:D

EDIT - kidding aside, my '02 1500 gasser did everything I ever asked it to do and did it well for ~10 years. Never left me stranded and went from one end of the USA to the other.

The 4.3 S10 I had before it was the same, good little work horse.

I hope this Jimmy is as good of a truck.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Well, looks like I’ll probably go with the wolf pup. There is a little bit of stubbornness in the purchase as opposed to going the extra mile for a nicer one. I think it’s a good “starter”. It’s not a heavy toy hauler, and it’s not a bank breaker. Plus, tinkering with it will help me learn more about these things.

I do appreciate everyone’s help and advice. I learned a lot the last few days.

Will I be posting a thread about how I wish I’d got a bigger one, maybe. Will I post a thread about how I wish I got a get more expensive one as it sits in the driveway, doubtful. At least not till the boy is older. That one is coming. And, will a thread be coming because I was doing a buck fifty down a “hardly used” road and have to go off roading because a farmer pulled out in front of me...maybe!:D

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

I am always happy to pull up with my paid off stubby trailer to see the owners of this big rolling mortgages have their dollar bills flying off their deck patios...

SuddenBraking, TurboBlew and RRP like this.
  5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Hope it isn’t a Ford, odds are pretty good you will spend more on keeping it on the road than a gas Chevrolet would cost outright.

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

You’re out of your mind. The 6.7 ford diesel is awesome.

120k. Other than full suspension system and delete it’s been oil, tires, brakes, fluids, bulbs. That’s it. Based on the “Roy Predicate” my position is unassailable.

7. turner38

Have had a couple of them come in that the HPFP failed and ran metal through the system. A eight THOUSAND dollar repair, more if Ford does it.

FYI, if the lift pump ever gets noisy or the warning for it comes on don’t try to limp
    It home. That’s what killed both of the ones That came in the shop.

Knotcher likes this.
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Isn’t the Dodge the only truck that doesn’t have that model of failure-prone lift pump?

9. 713

713 Well-Known Member

I bought a 17rp new in May of 17 and love it. I've put about 9000 miles on it and have slept in it about 80 nights. The wet bath works but it's really hard to take a shower. I use the pit-bull trs and put a r6 and sv in it. It will also fit a honda rancher 420, but not at the same time as the bikes. I pull it with a 2012 F150 ecoboost and 10-11 mpg. Let me know if you have any questions. I probably have a few pics of the setup.

John

10. turner38

Dunno, the lift pump wasn’t as big a deal as the high pressure pump eating itself from starvation.

ducnut likes this.
  11. 713

713 Well-Known Member

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Whatever fuel pump the Bosch CP4 (high-pressure and lift pump combo?) is it’s the one that self-destructs, destroying everything. Y’all been warned.

• 2011-2016 Ford diesel pickups, including the F-250, F-350, and F-450 (6.7L Power Stroke engines)
    • 2011-2016 Chevrolet Silverado diesel trucks (Duramax LML engine)
    • 2011-2012 Chevrolet Silverado diesel trucks (Duramax LGH engine)
    • 2011-2016 GMC Sierra diesel trucks (Duramax LML engine)
    • 2011-2012 GMC Sierra diesel trucks (Duramax LGH engine)
    • 2010-2011 GMC Savana (Duramax LGH engine)
    • 2010-2011 Chevrolet Express van (Duramax LGH engine)
    • 2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees (EcoDiesel engine)
    • 2014-2016 Dodge Ram trucks (EcoDiesel Engines)

turner38 likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Oh snap

14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

thanks for the info ductnut... looks like i dodged one bullet based on that list. (2019 f250)

ducnut likes this.
  15. MVA25

MVA25 Well-Known Member

Yeah man, I’ll take some pictures. Thanks.

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

2500 Gasser FTW

jdaniel and ducnut like this.
  17. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

There’s extended warranty on HPFP and parts associated with it from what I can remember. I have a lift pump that I was going to add once the bumper to bumper was done but now that I’m switching to a gasser again there’s no point. I’ll sell it off.

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m not up on all of it, but, I was thinking there may be a class-action lawsuit going. It’s my understanding, this model of pump simply isn’t compatible with our ULSD fuel, yet manufacturers used it. For sure, a buyer shouldn’t have to be forced to perform a bunch of mods to make something run on available fuels.

19. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Most guys just run a good additive and add a lift pump. The FASS I bought offers more filtration as well as helping take some stress off the CP4.

ducnut likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I was talking to an older couple who were pulling a 5th wheel with their fishing boat attached to the back of that, across I-40 in AZ. The truck was a Superduty 6.2L gas. When they went by me, they had to be doing at least 75mph, because I was running 70mph. He said he’d made a mistake getting rid of his old 7.3L, but, it had “X” hundreds of thousands miles on it. He didn’t want to deal with all the issues of the newer diesels, so he bought a gas truck. He said it had no problem pulling their stuff, but, it took a lot more RPM and they were getting ~7mpg. He said he preferred the more stress-free way a diesel got the job done.

5axis likes this.