1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kangaroo vs Cow???

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Wondering if a racing suit made from kangaroo is worth the expense over cow? I may have a custom suit made that will be way easier to get on and off since I'm paralyzed. There is a guy who specializes in making these and the suits use two long zippers versus one. A fellow para track day rider I know has one and speaks highly of his and even took a tumble once with no ill effects. The maker will use cow or kangaroo. The kangaroo hide will be 1mm thick and is said to be tougher and lighter than cow. Looking for feedback from those that have actually ridden wearing a kangaroo suit. Are they indeed lighter? Are they cooler to wear temp wise? How is the flexibility?

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Joe, i have an Arlen ness kangaroo that I don’t fit in any more.

I’d be happy to have you try it out for fitment and motion in it.
    Flexibility and lightness are like no other.
    (Except textile suits from Sweden maybe. But those never arrive ;))

IMHO - Roo all the way

TurboBlew and 50Joe like this.
  3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

PM sent

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

While I don't have a kangaroo suit, I played soccer for 20+ years and there was a significant difference in weight and ability to "feel" the ball through the kangaroo.
    I would imagine that difference would transfer to motorcycles too.

50Joe likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

my roo suit felt like it was perfectly broken in from day one, even though its off-the-rack and the same size as my previous cow suit. the lightness and flexibility are as good as uve heard.

50Joe likes this.
  6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i haven't worn one yet, but i totally plan on getting a roo suit for my next one fresh out the gate. i wish those arlen ness magnesium slider ones were still around. i remember an old buddy of mine had a shop around the way like 10 years ago that i would go get some servicing at and he was pals with Colin Edwards and had one of his crashed Tech3 suits hanging in the showroom. picking it up felt like you were picking up a cotton hoodie to go out and chill for dinner, definitely lighter than even a cow jacket by itself. i was sold right there.

50Joe likes this.
  7. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Once you go roo, your done with moo.

8. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Arlen Ness and Berik are the same company.

You can get a 70% Roo/30% leather suit for under $700 here:

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...s/Berik-Yagun-Evo-One-Piece-Leather-Suit-0014

Shipping takes about 2-3 weeks.

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Kangaroo is definitely lighter and much more supple than cow leather. It is more abrasion resistant if you are comparing the same weights. BUT for many companies, they use a thinner kangaroo leather so that the suit is lighter and feels better (as others mention it's like having a very well broken in suit right out of the box). It is NOT as durable as a cow leather suit when it comes to multiple crashes.

If you crash a lot I'd suggest staying with the cow hide, if you want the best feeling suit and in your case easier to get in and out of and feeling, the kangaroo might be the ticket.

Little known fact- most of the roo leather comes from Australia and surprisingly, Madagascar.

50Joe likes this.
  10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

This is the one i always wanted:

[​IMG]

Should have gotten one when they went on clearance years back. Nice to know though, will keep in mind. The dimensions always felt like they'd prolly be better on me than a skinny guy Dainese or a little guy RS Taichi.

50Joe likes this.
  11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I know a few Australian motorcyclists, and they'd be happy to donate a roo or two for your suit. Roos are widely regarded as pests and hazardous to anyone who uses the roadways.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Have them sent to @barnacle bill

13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I was kinda hoping for an Alien v Predator video in here...

50Joe likes this.
  14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It might be worth checking with Barnicle Bill to see if a second zipper can be added to your current suit.

50Joe likes this.
  15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

hahaha good one... ;)

That's where I got mine...
    Took 1.5 weeks to arrive to Champlain, NY.

I love my Berik Kangaroo... :)

Attached Files:

50Joe likes this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Tuff choice...

[​IMG] versus [​IMG]

KneeDragger_c69 and Phl218 like this.
  17. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

bought my dad a roo suit, he loves it, its lighter and more comfy than my cow suit for sure

50Joe likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Preferably already skinned with the hides tanned :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Racing stripes or checkered works too I guess.

They make reflective Roo’s?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They could but the animal rights peeps would freak out :D