1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Utility Smart Meters

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Jun 1, 2019.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tell me the box on the street corner and the house, simultaneously burning to the ground, aren't related.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What happens if I wrap the meter in aluminum foil?

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

It overheats and burns your house down.

R Acree likes this.
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Foil is probably not a smart idea.....although they do make Faraday cages for them.

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  5. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

RF signals cannot penetrate metal. Wrapping it in aluminum foil will do nothing but make them manually read it.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Go on, professor....:rolleyes:

7. 600 dbl are

I will concede I used the wrong terminology.

The RF signals used by smart meters cannot penetrate metal. There's a reason all the meters at dock yards are done manually or by touch read. There's a reason why radio read meters in metal vaults need to be elevated above the metal lid.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

Or like water meters, they have plastic lids.

9. 600 dbl are

Correct.

Depending on the municipal spec, some commercial or large residential (apartments) meters are located in vaults. Most of the time the meter and back flow assembly is above ground, but there are some that want to be different. Of course, Florida is a different animal compared to the rest of the country.

10. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

The biggest issue we encountered with installing smart meters, was their accuracy. While generally incredibly accurate, traditional meters almost always err in the customers favor as they age/wear. Some homes with old meters have seen dramatic increases after smart meter installation, in part because of this effect. There’s only been a few cases that I’m aware of, where smart meters created additional usage, and that was related to setting off a high wattage floodlight attached to a motion sensor.

beac83 likes this.
  11. 600 dbl are

It's the same way with water meters. Eventually they will slow down in favor of the customer. The technology is coming around so that the water meters will all be ultra sonic. Since there will be no moving parts, and the accuracy is far superior to that of a mechanical meter, it will improve the municipalities water loss. Customers will then be charged with the correct amount, which is going to piss a lot of them off. Of course the proper thing for the municipality to do is when they reduce the water loss they should lower the rates. Somehow I don't think that will happen...

12. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

That's an oddly specific and unusual light cycle for tomatoes :rolleyes:

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

It was pretty obvious what he was trying to say without outright saying it.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member