1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know shit about the internet box

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Why does my internet box thing have 2 different things to connect to, and which one should I use?

One says "Network 34" and the other says "Network 34-5G"

Which one is better, and howcome?

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We have that too - not sure why but the 5G is better.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Just mute the fucker.

BigBird and mastermind like this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Gixxer

Cannoli likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hyphens anger me.

6. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

It’s a Verizon Fios gimmick. Supposedly the 5G is faster but the range is shorter. I’ve seen ZERO difference in speed sitting next to the router on 5G or across the house/outside not on 5G.

7. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

You have a dual band router. Normal WiFi uses 2.4 GHz, but yours also has a 5 GHz option. The 5 GHz band will provide a faster connection, but will be disturbed easier by walls and such.

Metalhead, Chris, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Two different wireless networks 2GHz and 5Ghz.

5GHz offers more speed, but less coverage
    2GHz has more coverage, but less speed.

If you can keep a good connection on the 5G, use 5G.

9. You are referring to the spaceship thing with all the antennas around the side, right? I remember ordering that. I didn't know anything about them, but this one looked the awesomest. Most of the other ones looked like plain boxes, but this one looked badass.

I figured this one would make a kickass little robot if I could ever get my hands on a shard from the AllSpark. :D

So if I am connecting something in the same room, the 5G would be better. But if I want to connect something upstairs or in the garage, then I should use the regular non-5G one?

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Because you have a router that isn't smart enough to do band steering well, they instead leave that task to you the end user.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. Ah, I see. Thanks

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

That’s what I said! :D

beac83 likes this.
  13. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with Verizon.

Wheel Bearing and badmoon692008 like this.
  14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Your post wasnt shiney or badass looking. I swear if fish ever started casting for people this dudes a goner in the first 5 mins.

Jesse likes this.
  15. My box or the other box?

Speaking of which, why are there 2 boxes for the internet? One came from the cable company, then he plugged it into the one I ordered. Why cant I just use one box? They both have flashing lights on them.

Oh, and what is the secret for rebooting all of that shit? Isnt there some kind of procedure where you are supposed to unplug some cord, then turn one box on, then turn the other box on, then plug the cord back in? The cable company guy went through all of that like 5 times before he got it working right.

Im scared if the power goes out, I will never get that shit working again.

16. Im logging that shit in the bank for later use. :crackup:

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The first box converts the cable/fiber to Ethernet. The second box is your router, which is your protection from the evils of the Internet. The second box also gives you wireless network coverage

Just power them both off, then wait 15 seconds, then power both back on. They are smart enough to figure it out.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The cable dudes box is a modem so your pc can communicate on on the interwebz, your box is just to make it do it wirelessly. Icant make it sound any smarter cuz thats all i got.

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Or just do a search for the thread you started last year when you bought that bad ass looking box