1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not your typical KZ on Ebay

Discussion in 'General' started by black knight, Jun 14, 2019.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That’s the way they came...they used a hand held starter to spin the motor over.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It's not modified, it came that way. The 20 lb stator (or whatever size) stuck out too far, so it was removed for ground clearance and quicker revving.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I get it. I’m just saying that’s a lot of scratch

418 likes this.
  4. fastedyamaha

Well I believe there were only 30 total built. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the number of survivors left in the world. So few that as someone else stated, Barber doesn’t even have one on display. They’re incredibly rare.

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

The Barber comment does drive the point home somewhat. That’s pretty nuts if they can’t even get one.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Doesn't Barber have a Britten, there were only 10 of those?

7. fastedyamaha

Yes but I’m sure it was donated by his family so that his genius could be on display and not lost forever.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Didn't know that, sure is an amazing bike.

9. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

wow..... shows what i know

couldn't believe that machined aluminum case exposure was factory.

10. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

A nice fellow named Nick Wargetz bought one of those. Supposedly you had to have a resume to order one but cash talked. He let me ride it once at TWS in practice. All I remember is it was brutally fast, a real handful on the rough banking at the time.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ill have to ask Art Kowitz next time I see him. Pretty sure he raced one back in the day.

12. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

So how does it get it's electric power? From the battery only?

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Yup

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think they might have more than one, one for sure was raced by Chuck Honeycutt for the Barber race team. I'd guess they bought that one.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, total loss. Spare battery on charge at all times :D

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Welcome to vintage.

joec and pscook like this.
  17. 418

418 Expert #59

Some of y'all never been into vintage racing and it shows.

TurboBlew, TLR67, joec and 2 others like this.
  18. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Final price $114,500. Betting it goes back to Japan.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

I know. Right? Lol..

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I don't know that it was 20 lb, but 10 for sure. I raced a KZ1000J in V5 back in the early 90s. I ran it stock for the first few races, but after you lever the front wheel off the ground a few times with the Gen cover, you realize that this is the only solution. The bike actually revved quite a bit quicker with the weight of the end of the crankshaft. I took the cheap way out, by not pulling the crank and shortening the end, but that left the crankshaft susceptible to damage if you fell. Easy solution is, don't fall. The J was what this bike was based on. It was a handful with minor modifications, so I can't imagine what the actual S1 was like with essentially double the horsepower.