1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on cardio machines - Airbikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, May 10, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My gym got some rowing machines recently and I’ve been using them for cardio, and honestly, I’m not impressed. Maybe I’m missing something but it’s just not that hard. I have it set on 9 out of 10 and am doing 2000m in 10 minutes but my heart rate barely goes up. I’ll hit 140+ on the stair climber but barely 100 on the rower.

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I haven't tried a rower in a long time but when I was I had the same reaction. I always heard how awesome they were so I just thought I was missing something.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What was your stroke rate? It can be a challenge to find your optimum stroke rate, as explained in this article (if you are using a flywheel resistance rower, that is):
    https://www.concept2.com/news/rowing-stroke-rate-explained

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Endurance rate, according to the article. I can't remember my rate, but I was burning up after my interval workouts.

6. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

10 minutes for a 2000 meter row is very slow, old women on our rowing team are at 8:30. A fit man should easily be at 8:00. Your damper is set way too high, should be about 4 or 5. Stroke rate should be 30-34.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Good info. I’ll turn it down and go after speed.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thank you. I set the damper at 6 and rowed at 35 spm. It was much more effective.