1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dashcam

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Jul 11, 2017.

1. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Been using this for several months off a referral from a guy at work. The power cord is really long so I mounted the camera near the rear view mirror and ran the cord in the headliner, down the passenger side pillar to the fuse box. I hardwired it to a key switched circuit using a DC-DC converter and a fuse adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-1080P-Angle-G-Sensor-Screen/dp/B0119F9EPG

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Nope, it's all the retard northerners coming down here and not leaving. :D

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

traffic isn't terrible yet but the number of bottlenecks we have is so stupid.

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Dart is going to grow up to be the old guy on the street, with the overgrown yard, trip wires with pie plates on them, and a blue tarp on his car.

Dart is weird.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I thought he was just difficult. He's weird too ?

6. Lawn Dart

Totally not weird.

Nerd? Sure.
    Likeable? Absolutely.
    Difficult? Debatable.
    Weird? Definitely not.

7. Lawn Dart

Yeah, its the bottlenecks combined semi trucks combined with being the crossroads for damn near everybody east of the Mississippi combined with bad driving. Houston is still the only city that actually scares me driving, but we have some really bad drivers here too.

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

o_O

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Sounds like Atlanta.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe the east side :D

What I see in ATL more than anything is the normal everyone is from everywhere else stuff - and all their usual driving habits don't mesh. And of course cell phones but that's literally everywhere.

The Ohio stuff I haven't seen in years - people waving their arms outside of cars playing with the wind. Also people flashing their high beams because they think your headlights are too bright. Can't remember the last time I saw that - decades maybe. Don't remember ever seeing it in ATL, that's reserved for warnings about cops :D

11. Lawn Dart

It's heading that way. We don't have the size yet, but some things absolutely remind me of Atlanta. The biggest is all of the development without infrastructure to support it. We're going to get our MARTA too little too late just like Atlanta did.

V5 Racer likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Definitely play with the air, and yeah, motherfucker, turn your brights off when driving in oncoming traffic! :crackup:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't have the brights on, just don't have the headlights of a rusted out 85 Ranger.... The one I liked was the BMW X5 - with headlights as bright as my LED's :D

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Now that this thread is a couple years old, any updates to the cams people were using? Any new recommendations?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've still got whatever I bought but yet to install it :crackup: It is however getting closer, it's currently in the toolbox above the drivers seat of the rv...

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Blackvue 750S - 2 Channel
    https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/

if you want parking protection: recommend getting the battery or the hardwire power magic pro accessory

17. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

DAAAAAMMM that is not cheap. I think my budget is more in the $100-150 range.

What makes it worth the price?

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I just checked : I received this one on November 12, 2015 and have used it in my work truck every day since. The download cord gave me some trouble moving the videos to my computer once, but a replacement cord fixed the problem. It records 5 minute chunks and will overwrite the oldest loop if the microSD gets full. I keep old footage in folders labeled 1-31 (for every day of the month) on my computer, plus one for footage I want to keep. That way, if something comes up I ha e at least a months worth of footage of every minute my truck is on the road.

So, 3 1/2 years of hanging in the windshield all day in the Texas heat, the suction cup mount falls off about once every 8 or 10 months. I've dropped the dashcam from hip-chest height onto carpet a couple of times, onto tiles a couple of times, it still works fine.

128GB microSD that's in it now would hold, I'd guess, 48 hours of footage. That's just a guess. Easily 2 or 3 workdays if I don't download from it that night for whatever reason. That's on the lowest resolution setting which is useless for spank bank additions of that hottie that I see jogging every Saturday morning around the SMU area in her very short shorts, but it's completely reasonable footage for showing fault in any accident in which you might be involved.

https://www.dashcamgurus.com/falcon-zero-f170-hd-full-review/

Edit: sample in the youtube thred

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

What's the next step before actual installation ? :D