1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan Bike Tour

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Next year is our 25th (wedding) anniversary, and Mrs. Smilodon and I wanted to do something special. It has been a while since we did a "big trip" or bucket-list sort of thing, so we tried to think big. As a result, we have pretty much settled on a bike tour of Japan.

Due to the language/cultural differences and a desire to see as much as we can in the time over there, we have decided to go with a tour. We did a tour on our first trip to the TT, and it gives you a good first trip and a chance to learn the ropes a bit in an area if you want to go back on your own.

Anyhow, there are a number of options, and two of the "major" tour companies do tours. Edelwiess and Ayres. I'm leaning toward the Ayres one right now, but was wondering if anybody here had done something similar, or had gone on a different tour with one of these providers.

It is a ton of money (for me), probably two Isle of Man tours. So, I'm trying to take it slow and have a year to save up and get ready. Would like to have any advice/experience from the beeb (the useful kind:Poke:) that might help out.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Are you going to Hamamatsu?

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Be sure to check out the motorcycle museum at Suzuka. I always meant to do that, but its a real hassle taking public transportation there.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I got tickets to go there once, but they got recalled.

5. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Learn a few basic words/phrases like:
    konnichiwa,
    yoroshiku onegaishimasu,
    genki desu ka etc.

Also in case of tight situations, things like:
    where is the toilet,
    can I have some water,
    help me please etc.

And a few others, it will make the locals more amicable; they will acknowledge the effort you put in and reciprocate with a friendlier approach and be more inclined to help out.

7. wookie

wookie Well-Known Member

Everyone (almost everyone) in any city of size in Japan speaks english. The language barrier is not bad at all and everyone youll meet is very helpful. Went last year on business and spent a week roaming Yokohama and Tokyo and wuld love to go again. Was fortunate enough to see Mt Fuji and took a train ride across the countryside. Would def go again!

Steeltoe likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That is harsh ! :crackup:

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Shutup.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

brex, Prospect and fastedyamaha like this.
  11. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Appreciate the Japan advice, but was hoping somebody would have some experience with one or the other of the tour companies (Japan or elsewhere).

Would actually be going pretty close to Hamamatsu on the Ayres tour (and would love to see some bikes going together), but I think that is about in the middle of the day's ride (to Mt. Fuji), and don't think there would be time. Will have a rest day in Hiroshima area and was thinking of Mazda museum/factory tour. Planning on taking a few days afterwards to go to Tokyo for a few days and maybe a side-trip to Motegi (which seems to be relatively in the middle of nowhere Japan-wise). I want to see the Honda collection.

Both tours take you out in the countryside quite a bit (hitting bigger cities here and there), focusing on nice scenery and riding as much as sightseeing. So, I hope there are a few English speakers here and there out there too!

Looking at these two tours:

https://www.ayresadventures.com/japan-cherry-blossom-tour/
    https://www.edelweissbike.com/en/touren/?c=CJA