1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a Sport Touring Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jun 12, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Can it be turned into a supermoto?

turbulence, masshole and Razr like this.
  2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wish, if it was she would be on the back of the 51 in little shorts!

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

damn straight it can

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I’ve had about every VFR/Interceptor made, really liked the 5th gen, never had a 6th gen.

5. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

If you already own a RC51, chances are you will like the 1200 Multistrada. Lots of good options to buy in your price range. Should be able to get a good low mileage early model. I've found Ducati reliability to be actually better than BMW in the last 10 years. Pretty much all these bikes source their electrics from similar providers. Multistrada, not to heavy, plenty of go. To me all the other models are heavy! He'll even a new Model VFR800 interceptor is heavy when lugging it on to the centerstand. Good luck, lots of fun bikes in your price range. Also I'm a big BMW GS fan, you can easily afford a nice model 1200GS, but in all honesty its a bit under powered if you are coming from a sports bike back ground.

Razr likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Also, Might as well skip the middle aged ST bike and go straight to white shoes, shorts with black socks and eating dinner at 4:30 old man "motorcycle"....:D

[​IMG]

Chris and ducnut like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good info...thanks

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Haha.... I did notice a Slingshot last week. Looked fun.

9. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Razr likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

My buddy at work picked up a 2 year leftover Triumph Tiger 800 and loves it. And it has a lot of aftermarket equipment available for it.

Razr likes this.
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Cbr600F4i with banana seat.

Razr and speedkelly like this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

This stood out to me. If it's heavy getting it onto the centerstand, I have to believe your doing it wrong.

Razr likes this.
  13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I had an 1190 Adventure (standard with 19”/17” wheels) which I totaled recently. I found a deal on a 2012 tiger 800 for a bike I had in my basement that I didn’t ride any longer. I’ve been riding it for two weeks here and there and it’s a good motorcycle, but when I got off the 1190 I always got off that bike with love in my heart. It just did everything so well. I’m selling the 800 and buying another 1190 ASAP.

The op should look hard at the multistrada as well. From what I can tell they are fantastic bikes. I just like beating on my Adventure off-road and the multi seems to pretty for all that. I’m sure it’s capable but it doesn’t seem to have that dirt essence to me.

CowboyRR, Razr and ducnut like this.
  14. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I didn't see the FJ09 mentioned enough in this discussion. These are really great sport touring bikes with the near adventure touring seating position. And can be had for pretty decent prices. The Tracer GT is a bit out of the given price range, but also a GREAT bike.

There are some real deals for Triumph 800s out there. They don't hold value after they've been bought new, which is in opposition to their actual value as good motorcycles. Heck, even a 1050 Tiger Sport can be a nice ride.

The reason why the C14 isn't usually considered is because it really is a big pig. A bloody fast pig, but damn is she heavy. And out of date. This is coming from a current H2 SX SE owner.

I can't put my finger on what Honda did wrong with the VFR12, but they sure missed the mark. Whether it was being a bit to big, or a bit to heavy, or trying to be a bit too cleaver. It's never really taken off like it's 800 predecessor.

I know some folks who have had good luck with the Kawasaki Ninja 1000, aka as the SX1000 too. Same bags that fit this go on the H2 SX, and the Versys. There's another one you might look at, the Versys. Adventure touring seating position. And the 1000 can easily handle 2 up.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    badmoon692008 and Razr like this.
  15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Aren't most those bikes going to be hard on the shoulder when you'll have to wheel them around?
    Love my VFR800, but i'd think about something more upright.

Razr likes this.
  16. HarryG

HarryG Member

I just decided to sell my 2010 VFR 1200 . 11,100 miles, great condition, power commander, DAM exhaust, Honda OEM hard bags, heated grips. I'll be in your price range. $6000 OBO . Located in Dayton, Ohio

Attached Files:

bored&stroked and Razr like this.
  17. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

I just went through a similar search but had it narrowed down to the adventure touring bikes. I felt that the Multistrada had the best bang for the buck, but I wanted the pikes peak version, with termi exhaust, and Race map.

Found one a couple months ago that I was able pickup for $7K, that was a 2013 with 13,900 miles. The major service was never performed, that service through the duc shop in Atlanta is around $1700 . But I found an online Ducati tool rental for a diy belt an valve adjustment. Doing the major service myself only cost $500.00. It was also a lot easier than I anticipated.

I have very limited riding experience, so my review of the bike doesn’t have years of data to make it worth a whole lot.

That being said the bike so far has been a joy to ride. Cruises nicely at highway speeds, 80mph, with a very supple ride over broken pavement or concrete highways with the suspension set to soft. I prefer touring mode for sporty riding and like its throttle response the best. Easily will pull a wheel of the ground in 2nd, if that matters at all to you.( I recommend doing this after going 164mph down a farm road). The f’ing rips in twisty mountain roads. It’s ability change direction doesn’t make sense for such a large bike.

The brakes are okay, but do lack some feel, possibly a different pad would help, but they seem under braked in my opinion.

The transmission is a little clunky, and I’ve had some false neutrals. I think that’s more technique than the bike fault.

I’m 5’8” and the wind roar sound is pretty bad. It doesn’t matter what position the screen is in. I’ve ordered some spacers that supposed to help. Also ground clearance is an issue and the pegs touch down easily, along with toes of my boots.( but I corner high and comfortably, so I guess I’m anti-broome)

Razr likes this.
  18. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

C14 Concours. You wont regret it. Best all-around bike I've ever owned.

Razr likes this.
  19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Standard answer: SV650

BigBird and Razr like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Standard answer - Multistrada :D

stk0308, BigBird and Razr like this.