1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire pit help

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This, as soon as you anchor a seat down, that fire will be in your face.
    I built one for a guy, I was planning it out and he said "I bet you can'y put a water feature in with the fire pit" Firepit 1.jpg Firepit 4.jpg

XFBO, Banditracer and blkduc like this.
  2. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Lol I know I know! When the concrete guy started sawing for the joints that way I about shat myself. But he had some reasoning about wanting to do it in that direction and not true with the stamping pattern, can’t remember now.

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. That would be badass, if the wall was perfectly in the middle.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's nice work.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And there weren’t red bricks, yellow bricks and “natural stone” all in the same thing...

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thanks

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

So stupid question but there are some houses down the street with stamped concrete that have cuts like that as well. Do the relief/expansion cuts new to be perfectly straight? Why not cut with the design- other than its easiest to cut it straight and move along. That shit would drive me nuts.

I don’t get it. You pay for someone to put the concrete so it looks like there are joints and individual stones, then you put an expansion joint right through the middle of it.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The yellow brick are firebrick, a fire won't harm them. The red ones are solid paver coping brick, to seal everything up, they will last in the weather, but not in a fire. Now that it has had a few fires in it, the bright yellow color has turned to brown and black. I built this to withstand any fire, and hold up in the weather.

XFBO, Phl218, blkduc and 1 other person like this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have cut those joints like that either, it just sticks out too much. If they would have cut the joints parallel with the stamp joints, they would hardly show up. I'd say an inexperienced contractor does that. It's almost impossible to cut joints curved to match the stamp joints. photo 8.jpg

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh I know, I’m just trying to get Broome all riled up. :D

Razr likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He's still in shock from the 45 degree control cuts!

12. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

LMFAO! :D

I gotta admit I kinda threw you under the bus there because that kind of shit drives me nuts too. ;)

If I was gonna do something like that it would be done with pavers without the stupid cut line. :rolleyes:

I understand the purpose but it is most definitely not aesthetically pleasing and would bug the hell out of me. I would never pay for something like that.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You can get some color matched caulking, fill in the cut joints, and a lot of the joint will fade away and be way less noticeable.

Banditracer likes this.
  14. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I know the cuts show up quite noticeable in the pic, but in reality they aren’t quite as obvious. Still there, sure, but not as bold as the pic shows.

I think it had something to do with the way the pad intersected the boulder wall, to alleviate a potential stress crack. The mason is pretty experienced, he didn’t just do it willy-nilly.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I would get some of the cheap, made in China, Adirondack chairs from Walmart or someplace like that. They will last a couple of years or more and are pretty light since they are made of cheap 1x3 sticks. When they get rotten or falling apart, just throw them in the fire pit and get new ones. The nice thing is they are cheap, fairly comfortable, easy to move around for smoke avoidance and disposable. I had some for quite a few years before they made it from around the fire pit to into it.

RichB and acorn27 like this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

fake rock lightweight concrete furniture...Flintstones style.

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

[​IMG][​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So are you exterior
    Are these fake rocks?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Lightweight fiber cement. If I live long enough, I will have a true man cave.

speedluvn likes this.