1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pyrometer/EGT & boost gauge for Duramax

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Jun 8, 2019.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I’ve gone to the dark side, got a ‘05 Duramax on the way and I’m looking at adding EGT and boost gauges.

Anyone have any experience with this:

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cs2

I like the OBD port connection etc.

Thanks for any real world input.

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

I picked up an Edge Juice with Attitude programmer for my Cummins. I've been very pleased with. It has an egt sensor and display as well as a lot more features to make better mileage/power. I found mine used locally on facebook marketplace.

My manifold (aftermarket) already had the bung for the sensor. So It was super easy to install.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks Kurt!

My Sierra is bone stock, so I’m looking at these OBD type connections.

These Edge products seem to be reasonably priced and decent quality.

Btw - Congrats on Draik’s win at RA!:D

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

If there isn't a stock temp probe, you will have to drill and tap the manifold to place the sensor... at least on the 5.9 Cummins.

Thank you! As you know, he's worked hard to get there.

Ducti89 likes this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Cmon guys! Diesel talk! usually ya’ll cmon out of the woodwork for good ole diesel talk! :D

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I put a set of glowshift gauges in the purple pachyderm this past winter. Triple gauge a-pillar pod, EGT, lift pump pressure and oil pressure. The Edge w/ Attitude I’ve got gives me all the other gauges I’d want.

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just dont turn it up too much the allison cant handle it.

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Isnt the 04-05 that eats injectors at a timely 50,000 miles every 50,000 miles?

9. iowa129

iowa129 Active Member

The LB7 is from 01-04.5 they are the injector eaters. 04.5-05 is a LLY and the injector is much better AND much easier to replace. The LLY does have head gasket issues if you turn it up but in stock form it works pretty good.

Ducti89 likes this.
  10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Diesel talk and mention of Twins racing! It's on deck to be a "best of" thread.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

bank's I-dash is a great product, reads off obd port. have that and the derringer and CAI from banks. works as advertised. Ski

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Awesome guys! Thanks for info!

We got a really good deal on a low mileage, lil old man used it to haul his camper south in the winter truck.

This one will remain bone stock, no coal rolling.:D

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Does the I dash monitor EGT via the OBD port or does it require installation of a probe in the intake?

Thanks

skidooboy likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably have to drill and tap but it's not hard to do. Another vote for the Edge/Juice setup. Had it on the 6.0 and loved it.

r6boater likes this.
  15. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

You can get a driver side manifold already tapped for your egt probe if you don't want to mess with drilling and tapping. If you drill and tap the passenger side will have more room to work.

The oem manifold has a big pinch in it that the aftermarket do not have.

I don't know why or when these went up in price? I seem to remember paying 100 bucks a little while back.

https://www.dieselperformance.com/s...ifold-chevy-gmc-2001-2010-lb7-lly-lbz-lmm-685

I put the CTS2 in my truck. I've always put analogue gauges in my diesels so this is a first. It has the ability to show you just about every parameter if you desire and the CTS2 will show injector balance rates, read codes etc....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  16. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

I had the evolution CS2 on my 05 & loved it, the only thing I didn’t like is that you have to remove the radio fuse from the fuse box under the hood to change the tune then put it back in once you’re done. I left it in tow mode so it wasn’t much of an issue, just annoying the first time.

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Monitors from obd2 port. if the trucks electronics are tracking it, the I-dash can view it. no need for probes, drilling. Ski

RRP likes this.
  18. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I have the Edge Insight CTS2 on my powerstroke and really like it. Unless you are planning on running a mechanical boost gauge, it will rely on your OBD2 port reading through the truck's computer. You will need to install a pyrometer in the exhaust manifold to use the EGT function. I have installed these on several trucks and can help with any specific questions you may have. I would also recommend checking out a forum specific to your make and model, as I'm sure there are better spots than others for mounting the pyro.

RRP likes this.