1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fuel recommendation 100 octane

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Mind sharing your source? Pump or in a can? Trying to find a less expensive alternative to buying the 5-gallon VP cans.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ochs Oil was a distributor, they were purchased by Southern Counties Lubricants, I would call to see if they still carry it.

Address: 1321 Distribution Way, Vista, CA 92081

Phone: (760) 599-9572

Greenhound386 likes this.
  3. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

It definitely smells, but I never had an issue with it and I ran it all year last year.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Dion & Sons in Mission Valley & Santee. They have cans. I regularly call the day before I need it to see if they have stock. Its only failed once, haha.

Their Santee spot has pumps of VP something. But im not sure if its useful for motorcycles.

Greenhound386 likes this.
  5. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I have used VP red in the past with success. It is very stable and is like 105 octane.

6. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

Yeah it does smell, but as my bikes are all carbureted I like it doesn’t have ethanol

Not sure if you ever get used to it but I run it in my bikes and unless I spill some I really don’t notice any more

Lots of guys run F&L 100 too

7. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

After considerable research I'm going to try VP MS93, the RON is 101.9 and it is non oxygenated, no-ethanol unleaded, reasonably priced and seems readily available.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

not 100 octane related, but an article from July 2019 Car and Driver did a comparison of low and high octane

[​IMG]

Hotfoot likes this.
  9. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Since you have a race bike it likely doesn’t have an O2 sensor. I’ve been running Avgas for the past few years in a built 490. Runs about $4.50 / gal at local regional airport

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Its ok to experiment with fuel injected vehicles with knock sensors and ability to adjust timing. Race bikes? Not so much.

BigBird likes this.