1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small trailer tires...

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yep. And i added to my post a moment ago..
    why anyone would want less than D rating for ANY trailer, is beyond me... no, it's not the giant toyhauler thread, i get that, but my example has 4 wheels, not 2 that would be typical of a small trailer. You start getting upward of 2000lb PER TIRE real fast with only 2 tires

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I routinely run 3300-3400lbs on the axle of my trailer. If I would’ve known I’d end up that heavy, I would’ve done a 6K pound axle. But, my situation illustrates how one can get heavy much quicker than they think.

Even at 80psi, I can see plenty of tire bulge and deflection in the side mirror and glad to have 10-plies.

Attached Files:

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If my trailer is maxed to its GVWR of 6500#, I'm barely at 65% of a D rated tire's max load capacity.
    My typical usage prolly puts the trailer's loaded weight between 3000 and 4500. That's plenty of margin capacity with four Ds holding the road and my loads don't get beat to shit running on "less compliant to road irregularities" E tires.

Anyway, Amazon only has 1 D rated Maxxis in stock so, I ask again...
    Who's got 'em?

4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Spring axles beat cargo; not 2 extra tire plies.

Do a dealer search and have them check their distributor. My dealer gets them next day.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

When ya'll are saying metal valve stems you're saying the bolt in style or? Because they make HP snap in rubber stems, you don't need the bolt in metal stems like a dump truck or tractor would run. Regular snap in stems are good to 65psi, the snap in HP stems 80 and then from there on full metal bolt in stems.

7. fastfreddie

You think? Go ahead and put E tires on your car and tell me how you like the ride.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If they made them in 15" for my screamin' yello neon, I would. :D

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Having had HP snappers blow out on my old 3500 while hauling a trailer, I'll stick with the bolt ins from now on.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. Bolt-in.

The pull-thru, 65psi stems can still blow out.

I’ve got 10-plies on my truck. Yes. They’re a little more harsh than a 6-ply would be, but, they’re much more stable, have a deeper tread depth, and are more durable. I went from a factory 20” rim to an 18” rim and the ride is actually better.

11. fastfreddie

An inch more of flexy sidewall will do that. Tires are part of any suspension equation.

ducnut likes this.
  12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Weird, never ever seen a stem failure that wasn't due to dry rotting or physically damaging it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve actually seen a few blow out on heavily loaded race car trailers. You know them....the guys who spend a shitload on their car, then, buy a cheap trailer, overload it, and drive 80mph to the track.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

But, I went from a 6-ply to a 10-ply. According to you, anything 10-ply will ride like shit and beat the hell out of everything.

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Thousands of miles of my toy hauler wheels and not a problem. I know many others that run higher rated tires than what the wheels are rated for. I can't recall ever seeing, or hearing about a wheel just imploding from failure because the tire was over inflated for what the wheel was rated for.

ducnut likes this.
  16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea i wondered that too. We have a 1/2 mile dirt oval and see a lot of good ol' boys going to the track saturday night like clock work and i laugh at some of the trailers. Should be triaxle at the very least but nope, two screamin' axles on a 30ft enclosed trailer. :D

ducnut likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Only if ya go high on psi and tire isnt loaded... 60 or 65 in a E rated tire, if loaded well below max rating, will bounce nicely.

ducnut likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I realize I am not the norm for the audience in this post, but going up to an E rated tire that takes 80 PSI...I still get no excessive bouncing when my trailer is empty. The one nice thing about having a Work n Play with a 6400lb empty weight...LOL

ducnut likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

33F/30R is what I usually run in the pickup. The tread completely lays on the ground, with even wear and rotation at every oil change. BFG KO2 and very happy with them.

The trailer is usually at 50psi, with a partial load. Then, I bump them to 75psi, when I load it down. Maxxis 8008, FTW.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

How about actual small trailer tires?

I have a little utility trailer that needs new tread, I had planned on just going to whatever trailer store carries these smaller tires pre-mounted on wheels and just buying 2 new ones that fit. It is not usually loaded heavy so not too concerned.

My actual question - it has small tires (14" maybe?), and I'd like to get larger ones but the fender would need to be altered/moved/removed. Any reason why I should run a fender vs. leaving it off? I don't have a welder so unable to move it up.