1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" mini rubber

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Kurlon, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, seems the typical 17" mini setup is either sporting Bridgestone BT45s or Moto3 slicks. Is there anything in between the two, with more grip than the BTs without needing heavy pushing to build enough heat like a Moto3 tire?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What bike is it?

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My last time on a mini was a couple years ago with a TT-R 125LE, stock save for YZ80 forks and a tuned up shock with a 16" rear, 17" front tire combo. I would constantly fight chatter in sweepers capping my speed. I initially started with a Moto3 slick on the front and moved to the BT45 when I couldn't get it to stick. Track is very short, (25 second lap times in pavement only config) which makes building heat tough. I'm contemplating a hotter aircooled mini build but am not certain I'll get it rowdy enough to properly work Moto3 slicks.

4. joec

joec brace yourself

I always ran rs125 take offs on my xr100. I swear I could get away with all kinds of stupid at Englishtown. Wish I had it for boxshop still.

My ttr125 with bt45s was a disaster by comparison. Jake shoemaker passed me in the sweeper at box shop and after the race he came up to me and said "that thing chatter much?" He could see the front wheel bouncing as he passed me. The ttr was terrible by comparison.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Interesting, my friend's TTR is chattering like a bastard as well... I thought I had the geo/suspension right, sounds like I missed something.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

125 GP hard compound rain tires might be in the middle, or even a medium compound.

Regarding chatter, I race CB175's (big track) and we found that we reduced tire pressure until chatter went away, then dropped it some more until it came back, then met in the middle, which is 22 psi. These are 18" bias ply race tires, so some similarities to the BT45. Maybe try dropping the pressure by a few psi, ride a bit, repeat until you find a sweet spot. I know that I ran pretty low pressures on my YZ80 with a 125 slick up front, like 18 psi, but I only rode it a few times until they shut down our local track.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Oh it's going to chatter with bt45s for sure, that's part of it honestly.
    Slicks won't chatter but yeah might not work too well on the short track even with warmers..
    I second the rain tires.

8. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

I second the idea of dropping pressure. I'm doing exactly that with Conti Sumo tires on my YZ85.
    I wouldn't be shocked if, like the gentleman above, I end up in the vicinity of 22 psi front and back.
    I started at 30 cold and got chatter.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

agree... sweet spot for me is 14-16lbs on BTs
    The ttr shouldnt chatter much if at all with an rm front end.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I was down in the 16psi range, had to be careful as pinch flats from jumping suck.

11. RTD

RTD Well-Known Member

PMT just recently released 17” slicks, a few riders tried them this weekend, everything I heard was positive