1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gives and when?

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Dec 13, 2018.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im about a hour from Daytona. All the queens here trailer their rides down. For what? I have no idear. Maybe to pay $250/wk for trailer parking?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The enclosed ones don't trust the bikini washes to not scratch the bike and don't wash them themselves.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive said it before... motorcycling is a "selfish" hobby. Dirt bikes are pretty strong around here because even after spending $10k on one... you have enough loot to ride the open track week nights or trails on the weekends.
    Boats are where all the "old" bikers are now... since you can load up your friends or kids to come along.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And the family peeps with spare cash buy side by sides.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of the open land to play and ride on is another thing Europe doesn't have that totally changes how people here view their leisure time and money.

6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

What high gas prices? There's a reason that auto manufacturers are discontinuing almost all their car lines... Gas is cheap and trucks and SUV's are what everyone is buying.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I paid 3.75 a gallon for cheap in Cali last night, I'd call that high. Not euro high but still.

8. Or a Jeep instead of 2 side by sides :). Well that’s exactly what I did when I was looking st side by sides.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't know details, ain't go no spare cash :crackup:

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

What??

The majority of the Midwest and East only have age related helmet laws. Three of the biggest states with largest numbers of biker ‘gangs’ are mandatory helmet states (Cali, Nevada, New York).

Just how many outlaw motorcycle gang members do you think there are, that they are the biggest driver of new motorcycle sales?? Not to mention most of the outlaw club guys I see are on clapped out old stuff. One could also reasonably assume a lot of those bikes didn’t come to those riders by walking into a dealership and filling out financing applications.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Umm. We call those "squadrons" here. :moon:

MachineR1 and TurboBlew like this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I just don't see this turning around. The bike market is full of expensive, over powered, electronic nannied up equipment that looks like ass. I haven't seen anything in the last decade that stirred enough desire to own in me to open my wallet. I can't put my finger on why that is either. The RC30 and 600 Hurricane were things I lusted after when they were introduced. The current batch of bikes from all the vendors just don't have the same appeal those bikes had for me. The ones that are desirable are low production and priced out of the stratosphere and I don't perceive enough value in them at the prices asked to purchase one.

ducnut likes this.
  13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I agree with that for the most part. My local dealers no longer carry any 600 sportbikes because younger guys can no longer afford them and the insurance. They may have 1 or two 1000's on the floor. That's about it. They stock tons of ATV's, dirt bikes, touring bikes, some cruisers and a few ADV bikes. Oh yea, standard bikes like the MT07/MT09 seem to sell decent too.

The one bike that has my lust which isn't in production yet is the rumored Aprilia RS660 twin. But, I won't be able to afford it.

ducnut likes this.
  14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

My local dealer is all Harley, SXS and Adventure bikes. No gear to speak of and only parts for current production bikes.

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I mostly agree, although I do see myself picking up a Hypermotard in the next couple years. Just not a new one. So I guess I completely agree. :crackup:

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think it's a been there, done that kind of thing, maybe? Now I'm lusting after rental properties, mini excavators and barns.

17. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Think of it this way. Back when you were lusting for a RC30 there were people your current age who thought they looked like crap, and were just as unimpressed as you are with current bikes. The motorcycle industry doesn't have to entice you. They have to entice the current youth, and the oncoming generation. Your already hooked :)

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oh, and a dump trailer.

Cannoli likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Same here. Anytime I see a Hurricane, CB1100F, Interceptor, etc, I gotta’ have a look.

I lusted for a 5th Gen VFR and finally got one, last year, and did a frame-up on it. My motorcycle want is pretty satiated.

Attached Files:

50Joe likes this.