1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woolich racing and their gotcha clause

Discussion in 'General' started by blue03R6, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's bs. But nobody outside of agriculture cares until it affects them. The EU is waking up along with enough of the US and Canada I think Right to Repair will finally be law. Just a question of when. Farmers deal with enough crap they don't need machinery sitting idle while they wait for some company schmuck with the magic key to come unlock the product they already bought and paid for.

2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Build your own Megasquirt ECU and don't ever worry about subscriptions. Just will cost weeks of your life crawling through forums figuring out how to get everything perfectly set.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm also turned off by the flash companies and their business models. It'd be one thing if it made life easier/more reliable, but it often does the opposite, with lesser results.

Generally speaking, I prefer the good old kit ECU's.

TurboBlew, 5axis, drop and 2 others like this.
  4. In 2018 FTECU needed a connection to do an ecu and license check. Unless that has changed software runs locally.

5. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

ok so they reset my limit on the computers to 0 so now I can log in again. but they didn't reply about anything I asked about. so I'm still unsure if this is the underlying issue. it may be my fault it may be their BS.

but to address a few misconceptions I see in this thread so far.
    1. woolich works "offline". so you do not need a wifi or tethered connection to flash the ecu.
    2. I have no flipping idea how it knows how long it's been since I last did a flash since it can be used offline.
    3. it seems to not be a web based software. I do not use a browser to access it. it's a stand alone software that goes through a install process and is in the installed programs list in the control panel of windows.

I chose woolich because of that reason. at the time I purchased it (Feb 2016) FTECU had to have an internet connection.
    so far I've found a few things that make it pretty awesome if you know what you're doing with it. one of those features is if you run the autotune you can set up the exhaust gas offset parameters. this allows a more precise measurement for the software to program the mapping.
    I don't think FTECU has this feature. and it has about 40 settings you can adjust for the autotune.
    and you can literally change everything in the ecu except the traction control settings. any kind of mapping you can think of it's there, you can even change when the upper intake tracks rise an fall. you can change the rev limiter. it also has a live engine data screen so you can monitor all sorts of stuff on the dyno. even the ignition timing is visible. the other cool things you can adjust is with the ETV (electronic throttle valve) you can make it a quick throttle setup with this software apparently. you can adjust 6 different maps of how the etv operates. also you can change the fuel injector timing. it's obsurd how much you can adjust and it's miles above my head. you can also disable the top speed limiter wink wink. lol

also the quickshifter and autoblipper both has 4 settings you can adjust. so does the launch control. they have a pit lane speed limiter, and engine warm up feature. which I see as more of a gimmick than a feature.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  6. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

I've had less than stellar experiences with Woolich customer service. Had a conflict with my 2018 R1 where it would shut off the quickshift/autoblip in the middle of a ride. Was treated as an imbecile until it came to light that the 2018 software was never actually field tested at that time. They were so quick to blame me until they started getting more of the same complaints. I flashed it back to stock because I was so fed up pulling my tank and airbox to connect/disconnect the AIS, O2 sensors, and exhaust servo while I was working with them to troubleshoot it.

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

You CAN’T change your traction control settings???? I hope that’s not on every bike.

I thought about using the non kit stuff when building my bike and now reading this stuff I’m glad I didn’t. Almost the same price, none of the headache.

drop and MELK-MAN like this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

On my 4th gen ZX10R you can adjust traction control settings with Woolich. It works great on that bike. I only had issues with my R1.

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thats because you dont ride, Bruce!:p

Isnt flashing the ecu a lot a bad thing?

10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

:moon: I was hoping for the same good experience I had with the Kawi. If my buddy buys it the R1 is going. Problem is what I want to try next... I feel like the Yamaha's in general are really finicky and difficult to ride. The tank slopes too far forward, and the tank cover everyone runs sits way too far back for my dad bod gut lol!

11. Ducti89

BMW? Ive been eying them in the paddock and now im curious. Im starting to get some real complications with my neck.

Bruce likes this.
  12. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

This is because the ECU does more than just run the fuel injectors and ignition coils. It is the hub of the central nervous system (CANBUS). If it's anything like modern cars, the ECU is locked to the VIN and will require two way communication to HQ to validate and a software download to enable the ECU.

https://www.embedded.com/design/saf.../How-hardware-security-modules-enable-AUTOSAR

Also, the 7 year thing is a myth. In the USA vehicle manufacturers don't have to support vehicles with any level of parts or service beyond the terms of the new vehicle limited warranty, emissions warranty, etc. and even then you're stuck with "independently owned and operated franchised dealerships" who can refuse service to anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

13. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Possibly. I kind of wish Honda would do something monumental.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I got Woolich to do 2 things on our 3rd gen SV650 superbike. Shut off O2 sensor and shut off speedo sensor. It failed at both.... I'm hoping it can tune the STV on our SS bike correctly.

15. Ducti89

You and me both.

Bruce likes this.
  16. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

That’s like #2 on the list of things I want to be able to adjust after afr.

What other options are there for the r1, is there a kit setup?

Bruce likes this.
  17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Motec is always an option.

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Flash bikes to remove restrictions. Tune with something else like PC or bazzaz.

roy826ex likes this.
  19. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yep!

20. Critter

Critter Registered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Vehicle_Owners'_Right_to_Repair_Act