1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Truck Advice: 04-06 F-150 or Tundra?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tiller15, Oct 26, 2015.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Tiller, you should have an email.

BigBird likes this.
  2. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I got it.. Thanks a ton! Going to pick up the truck on Saturday.

Let me know if I can do anything for you in return :beer:

BigBird likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What's the scoop on the 4.6 V8 in the newer Tundras?

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Same bulletproof nature as the old one, just without the timing belt replacement costs. It's basically a short-stroked 5.7.

BigBird likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Drives pretty good to, not a bad option for a non towing driver. Doesn't get any better gas mileage though so I don't see the point?

6. Greg Cushing

Greg Cushing New Member

Hi Folks - you spoke about picking up this truck 4 years ago. Would you posting an update please. I am looking at a Tundra or Sequoia of the same era for similar reasons you stated earlier. Your feeback will be useful. Thanks.

7. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I have both.. both are near maintenance free and I’ve enjoyed 8+ years of gas, tires & oil (a lot of gas [emoji23])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  8. Greg Cushing

Greg Cushing New Member

Thanks for the note. How hard can they be on fuel compared to a chev, ford or dodge? They make some big trucks. I had a 96 Tahoe that was hard on fuel. I am not so sure that the Toyota will be more costly to operate than it was.

9. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

All depends on how you drive them. If I drive like a sane human I can nudge 17 out of my supercharged 5.7. The gm’s and rams are the mpg machines for sure.

10. Greg Cushing

Greg Cushing New Member

I have looked at the Ford - I use an F350 for work and it drinks fuel - but it is not my bill - it works ok but the radio display died. It plays but is useless otherwise. I have also been checking out older HD F150s for a fun thing. I want 4 doors. What I get will sit in the garage during the week. So, it does not need to new but I want it clean and reliable. Towing a 7x12 trailer is important a couple of times a year. Thus you have my quandary.

11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I had a 2002 F150 supercrew with the 5.4 and it gave me 220k trouble free miles, outside of the standard maintenance/consumables. Sold it a few years ago and the guy who bought it from me still drives it daily. It has to be over 300k now.

I drank the beeb kool aid and replaced it with a diesel F250. :D

12. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My vote is for the Toyota Tundra, based on their respective spokespersons. I’d rather do Jan 2XIDB than Dennis Leary.