1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The time is now

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, May 30, 2019.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

what's it like riding a diesel instead of a proper motorcycle engine, anyway ;)

SpeedWerks Racing and 50Joe like this.
  2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The FZ07 is soooo easy and forgiving. One problem we had in the first session is I lost downshifting. I rode the last lap all in 6th gear. I was looking for a wall to ride up against before turn 7 but the bike still pulled 6th gear out of that corner and I made it back to the pits. Turned out to just be a loose connection. I gotta admit it is nice to just hit a starter button and go. The fuel injection mapping is pretty good too.

3. Your Velcro skills are insane :) there is no way the day would’ve even been half as successful without you- you did awesome in and out of the pits.

cajun636 and 50Joe like this.
  4. Appreciate that. I’m a perfectionist and like it all to be perfect, especially in this case. Was absolutely gutted that the parts of the bike that is spent the most time and headaches on were not on due to one stupid piece but we made it work. I’ve already got stuff coming to make rev 3 for his feet, actuator will be here Monday and I’ll fab up an air duct for the shift solenoid even though the heat shielding worked. If I have time this week I’ll start making a new tank cover with a bubble for joe to turn better. I have a lot of notes that I wrote down and stopped on the way home to add more.

50Joe likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This is awesome stuff. My props to Joe and the technical staff. :clap::bow:

6. And metal head. He’s a goofy f@cker but was there to help anyway he could- pantera shirt, dominos visor and all. He was like a confused hipster frat boy but a great help that’s for damn sure. It was greatly appreciated. About to head to the garage and start mocking up some stuff based on what we learned yesterday. Once this things done I’ll bet anyone say $500 to the AFF it will be the trickiest converted bike out there. The last session joe rode was nothing short of amazing. It was a quantum leap forward. Being a data guy I was not even looking at lap times, just listening and watching. Eventually I’ll hook up a data logger but didn’t want to get lost in data just yet. Baby steps. My 7 year old is bummed he wasn’t there as he’s been with me through this journey from my side of it. And I’m glad my wife didn’t kill me for baking carbon fiber in the oven so it cured in time to de mold it at the track. It was cured just barely enough. In hindsight should’ve just made fiberglass but that would’ve been too average. Can’t have joe showing up at his local Starbucks with fiberglass foot platforms, the Ducati guys would laugh :)

7. 637ADBE1-E0B5-49B6-B2DC-62E03770A8F8.jpeg 2EB2B396-D4A7-4BCE-A9B3-08B15D668626.jpeg 265FA71F-9873-444E-91F4-EBF1ED5848BD.jpeg This tire was new at the beginning of the day. This is a squid move to post a pic of your tires but in this case warranted as it shows joe was getting it. I proud of the bravery he showed and composure. Especially when I was late getting stuck behind a fatal accident, pulled over for speeding and late leaving the house due to a kid throwing up. We will make some modifications as joes body position changed as he got more comfortable, we kind of guessed at it. Glad I put stock rearset plates back on to make it easier to move as drilling / tapping the few holes I had to at the track were a pain enough. Trimmed / de molded those over the garbage can. Just in time engineering :)

8. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

This thread makes me feel very happy.
    Y’all are inspirational!

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's bad ass!

joec and 50Joe like this.
  10. I can’t wait for joe to ride this on the street and hang out at Starbucks. We will have to add more carbon in places that are totally usueless so he will fit in but that’s ok. When stopping for gas on the way home some guy on a Harley asked me why are my “floor boards” like that on a “crotch rocket”. I just said “adjustable highway pegs” and kept pumping my gas :)

11. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

That's classic.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Awesome job Joe, it had to feel good to be out there....congrats.

50Joe likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cycle Jam thread in Announcements.

50Joe likes this.
  14. Amazing when you get a group of people, all from different walks of life that come together for a common goal. Being inspired to do something, even if it’s not for “you” directly is a hell of a drug. Without the BBS I wouldn’t have had a chance to be involved so this place does have its good points time to time.

15. Once I get it all together I’ll post a photo book. I’ve detailed every step from pics joe sent me at first to sketches, mock ups, prototypes. Repeat that about, well too many times, etc etc.

50Joe likes this.
  16. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

It took me to come here and see that you were you from Here hahaha. Figuring out Names with Beeb personalities is always fun.

Metal is a good dude through and through. It’s always a good time when he comes to hang out for sure. Also thanks to @Shenanigans for the on track support as well as in the pits.

And it’s funny you said the floor boards because once I got back to work everyone was asking me about Joe and how he liked it and how we was attached. I told them it was these foot...er.... boards that a kick ass dude made.

Another thing probably not addressed was the lack of announcement. A lot of people at the track asked me why didn’t he or I say something until the last minute. First it wasn’t my place to say, and second, I believe Joe didn’t want to make a big deal about it publicly and also to make sure it went off without a hitch. Being unsure of how it would go especially dealing with the heat, and parts not being in.

I’ve been waiting for this event for a long time. Truth be told once we got onto the straight and he went in front it me, it was a little dusty out there and something may have gotten into my eye.

If anyone was going to do it, it was Joe. The dude is just a fuckin winner. I have always said that he is an inspiration, because what he has done is. We all know our risks when we get on track, and although we try and push it out of our minds, we know that it is a very real possibility to wind up in Joe’s shoes. But between this, and the insane ability and drive he has to ride a hand cycle, it is nothing short but amazing. Don’t believe me, go look at his strava.com stats.

Awhile back I told him that we, the racing/biker community need people like him and Scuba Steve and Mark B. Because in the event of something like this happening, we need to know we will be ok.

Thanks again to all the WERA workers and racers out there for the help and patience.

I actually got super pissed at one point at someone for waiving his hands at Joe like WTF on track.. but Joe calmed me down once in the pits and kept me from going to talk to them. So thanks again for those racers out there Friday

Wheel Bearing, Stumpy, 50Joe and 2 others like this.
  17. And of course they arrived Sunday, but they sent me the wrong ones!!!

50Joe and cajun636 like this.
  18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

It was honestly my pleasure to be there and would have gladly played safety rider behind yall in the lead/follow practice to keep space around Joe

50Joe likes this.
  19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

That dude actually came and apologized to Joe later. He had no idea of the circumstances but realized after the session. Seems like a nice guy. I didn't catch his name.He was impressed by Joe, you and Doug for doing what yall did

50Joe and Metalhead like this.
  20. In hindsight this was our fault. We should’ve put an orange vest on either joe or Dustin, IMO. Actually we should’ve put a riders school shirt on Joe :) :) Nice rainy day to work on the bike. My wife needs a punch in the vajay-jay. She “mistakenly” threw away about $250 worth of expensive heim joints for the linkage for the landing gear. I have some cheaper ones that will make it work until the replacements come in but FFS. My fault for not putting them where they should go but I am not in the mood to take responsibility for my actions today.